Views On Contact Lenses

Ali C

sup

My eyesight is really bad at the mo, I am pretty shortsighted and its begining to effect my everyday life as well as my riding, I am pretty sure I am illegally driving and I cant see what I am riding on or focus on things I am gapping to or getting a runup for. I quite often get double vision too.

I am going to book an eye test and I want to use contact lenses as I dont like glasses.

Does anyone on here use contacs? I dont know wether to go for dailys or re-usable ones...any advise?

I use 1 month disposable ones and once you get over the fact of putting them in they are fine. Sometimes after a very long day (14+ hours of wearing) they dry out but i understand you can get extended wear ones now. Ive also slept with them in many times when ive kipped at a mates or whatever with no real problems.

Im on 1 month ones too, so much better than glasses!

Ive been using really cheep and cheerful ones (£25ish for 6 months worth) for about 3 years and ive had no problem, even when whitewater kayaking.

I sampled the night and day ones too, you can just put them in and forget about them for a month.

Get lenses, it makes everything better!

Tempted by contacts to as I hate wearing glasses because they never stay on my head since i have no bridge in my nose lol.

Always squinting when at work or on the computers at college. Use glasses at home, but always have headphones on which stop them from falling down.

My brother and I also wear monthly disposable contact lenses. We are both preety short sighted and it has made such a difference to everyday life generally. Not much hassle to put them in etc, very easy once your use to it.

Never really tried swimming in them, I was told the only things I couldn't do in them was sleep and swim.

Brother has slept in his once and it was all fine etc.

Defianately worth getting though makes such a difference to everday life

Ali

Edited by ali

i use monthly ones, but i am cheap and use them for around 2 months, or however long the bottle of lense cleaning fluid thing lasts. the only difference i feel between a fresh pair and a 2 month old pair is that the fresh ones are softer and more comfortable after a full day's use.

i never have any troubles with mine falling out or anything, and i don't miss glasses one bit, especially for riding.

also slept in mine a few times, works fine.

the first few weeks are a bit weird getting used to have plastic on your eyes, but it's really convenient because you learn to deal with getting muck in your eyes, and also i feel there is less risk of runny eyes when chopping onions!

I darent go to contact lenses as i have a thing of keeping my eye open when trying to put drops in etc. i wear glasses and have been for 6-7 years now my new converse ones i like but the only disadvantage is when im riding they move up and down unlike my other glasses which didnt.

Andrew

Ive tried both monthly and dailies. I do prefer the dailies by a long shot cos of the cleaniless. I think the monthly's are dirty as hell, i suppose its down to preference though. Dailies are a bit more comfortabler too cos they're thinner and softer than the monthlys. Thinkin of laser eye treatment myself, cos contacts do my nut in at times. Anyone on here had laser eye treatment? pros/cons?

I've had monthly ones. Pretty much everything I noticed has already been said.

I only ditched em cos I couldn't keep track of how many times I'd worn them as I was only really wearing them when I went riding (two-three times a week).

If you're going to wear them every day you wou'dnt have that trouble, I don't know if they'd work out cheaper than daily jobs or not though.

I'm intending on getting daily ones soon as they make them for people with freaky eyes like mine now.

I've had monthly ones. Pretty much everything I noticed has already been said.

I only ditched em cos I couldn't keep track of how many times I'd worn them as I was only really wearing them when I went riding (two-three times a week).

If you're going to wear them every day you wou'dnt have that trouble, I don't know if they'd work out cheaper than daily jobs or not though.

I'm intending on getting daily ones soon as they make them for people with freaky eyes like mine now.

*stock comment about adolescent masturbation and effects leading to the deterioration of eyesight*

what's freaky about your eyes 'pipe?

I darent go to contact lenses as i have a thing of keeping my eye open when trying to put drops in etc. i wear glasses and have been for 6-7 years now my new converse ones i like but the only disadvantage is when im riding they move up and down unlike my other glasses which didnt.

Andrew

I use contacts and still have a thing about eydrops lol. Putting contact lenses in is fine though. Been using daily disposables lately, though i've ran out and have been using the same pair when i go riding every few days. Disgustingly i just stick them in my mouth so they're not dry and crispy anymore and then i whack em back in.

Gonna get the 30 day continuous wear ones now though, £17-18 for 3 pairs so they're dead cheap. I also like the idea of not having to worry about them.

For riding though, the contact lenses are far better in that you have a much wider field of vision (unless your currently wearing 70's style frisbee lenses) and that the vision isn't distorted... which i found to improve my balance and smoothness enourmously. Used them for surfing and swimming too and never lost one despite some big wipeouts so don't listen to the people who say they always fall out when around water.

I just use mine for sports (riding, climbing, swimming, whatever else). The rest of the time I wear glasses because I'm so used to them and I quite like them. But for sports contacts are looooads better. I use monthly disposables and just use them once or twice a week for a few hours. I take them out when not riding my bike or whatever though. When they start to feel horrible (or I lose them), I change them for a new set. Since I don't use them too often, a pair will last me a few months.

I'd like to try daily disposables but they're more money so the monthly ones do me fine :)

Used them for surfing and swimming too and never lost one despite some big wipeouts so don't listen to the people who say they always fall out when around water.

I lose mine occasionally when I'm in water. Did 4 days surfing recently and lost one contact in that time. Depends on your eyes I guess. Also if you've been wearing them for hours before you go in the water, they'll probably 'stick' better to your eyes whereas I tend to put mine in just before I go swimming/whatever.

I lose mine occasionally when I'm in water. Did 4 days surfing recently and lost one contact in that time. Depends on your eyes I guess. Also if you've been wearing them for hours before you go in the water, they'll probably 'stick' better to your eyes whereas I tend to put mine in just before I go swimming/whatever.

Last time i went surfing i was camping all week so i stuck the lenses in when i woke up at around 8.00'ish and the surfing started at 9.00, we were in the water by like 10.00 though (mates had never been before so joined them in the newbie school class).

I've never lost one in water though, ever. And i go swimming around once a week usually, goggle'less because i look like a tit in them. Mind you i don't generally open my eyes underwater, the chlorine irritates my eyes after a while so i don't usually do it. Not much point opening my eyes in the sea either as theres usually sand and crap that gets washed in the waves.

id be lost without contacts, i cant even read a book at normal length away without squinting.

i use monthlys which generally last me 2 month a pair and have no bother at all. must wash them in solution now and then because when they sit in their containers cloth hairs might go in and makes them highly irritable