Mac Problems

Spikenipple

I was just about to say, I was £4 off, which isnt bad. But I got the date right, which is cool :)

Just linked my pc to my mac via ethernet, it says on the pc side its sendingin packets and stuff but how do i get it set up on the mac side?

Find the IP address of your PC and then in Finder press Apple + K and enter the PC IP address. Sorted.

wanna get some more ram for my g4 1.5ghz 12" powerbook.

apple is expensive!!

anywhere cheap cheap??

cheers

Get Crucial as Jon said and they will guarantee that it works in whatever computer. I bought some off there for my computer (same as yours). Although eBuyer seems to be much cheaper: http://www.ebuyer.com/cat/Memory---Laptop/...DDR-SODIMM-2700

Bear in mind that the current 512Mb that's in there is in the form of 2x256Mb, with one fixed and non-changeable. So the maximum you can put in is 1x1Gb stick which brings the total to 1.25Gb. If you buy a 512Mb stick you'll only be up to 768 Mb which is hardly an increase on the 512.

I hope that all makes sense.

I was just about to say, I was £4 off, which isnt bad. But I got the date right, which is cool :)

Find the IP address of your PC and then in Finder press Apple + K and enter the PC IP address. Sorted.

I press apple k type in my ip and it keeps failing any ideas? the pc says its sent like 900 packets but only recieving 115ish

Well if you've got Leopard it should just show up in the sidebar, that's what the Windows shares on my network do, then you just click on the computer name.

Try pinging the IP in Network Utility (Applications>Utilities>Network Utility) and if that works let me know, I don't see why it wouldnt work to be honest.

Is it the right cable? IE is it crossover?

It should be as easy as this:

Connect Ethernet to Mac

Connect Ethernet to PC

Turn Sharing on Mac (Sys Pref>Sharing>File Sharing)

Click Options on File Sharing window

Tick "Share files and folders using SMB" and tick the user account you wish to share with

Turn Sharing on PC (Right click on folder>Sharing and Security>Share this folder>Tick the two boxes in the second box)

PC will appear in left hand bar of Mac Finder (under "Shared")

Click on PC name

Click "Connect As"

Enter Username/Password

Click on the shared folder you want to access.

Should be sorted.

I don't know about doing it the other way round as I don't have a PC to hand, but that's how it should work. You should probably try running the "Setup a Home Network" wizard on the PC, I had to do that on the PC at work when it stopped working once, just made sure the workgroup name was ok and it worked.

Edited by MonsterJ

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I'm now on Leopard, pretty sweet. Arrived on the 26th as well :D

First thing i've noticed is in the dock when a program is open, it doesn't have a tiny arrow telling you the program is still running....?

Also in finder if you select say 10 photos, you cant view as a slideshow? Only open with preview...

It's £85 normally but £58.77 on student discount.

A mate also wanted it as hes big on macs so he paid the majority ;) I paid £13 haha

So the upgrade disk works on more than 1 mac? Seems odd. Anyway - was the £58 from the Apple store, or online or what?