Mac Problems

Spikenipple

HELP! More of a shitty installer problem. Got CS3 Photoshop extended put disc in and it says cannot install because of Adobe CS3 Photoshop? WTF? So I went to uninstaller CS2 but it says cannot uninstall CS2! ERGH!

What do I do???

:( I want a mac and i've no idea why, i've got a pretty top end dell on vista which was a fortune to buy and now i want a pretty macbook to go with it. i honestly think i'm going to buy it purely for the name because it'll be no faster or more reliable than my pc.

ahwell i'm going to order one as soon as. impulse buying ***

Edited by Gavyn L

:( I want a mac and i've no idea why, i've got a pretty top end dell on vista which was a fortune to buy and now i want a pretty macbook to go with it. i honestly think i'm going to buy it purely for the name because it'll be no faster or more reliable than my pc.

ahwell i'm going to order one as soon as. impulse buying ***

It will ;)

There doesn't seem to be many 'problems' in this thread. Which is good for me cause im thinking of buying a mac. Sick of windows and my noisy 3m square PC case...

Anyone got any advice regarding switching from a PC to a Mac?

I do have one major question and that is.. Can I install basic programs onto a Mac? Such as winzip/azureus/firefox etc? or is it dependant on the program every time?

Also, is there anything major I should know about Mac Mini's?

Also what are macs like for playing videos? like mpegs and avis etc..? you still ned loads of codecs or can i use divx or what?

THANKS!!

Edited by himynameisphil

It will ;)

no really it won't, i am going for as basic I can get really the 12inch 2.0ghz macbook because I'll only really use it in my car and at work. and my pc has had no problems what so ever it does everything I want it to do just perfectly.

I do have one major question and that is.. Can I install basic programs onto a Mac? Such as winzip/azureus/firefox etc? or is it dependant on the program every time?

Also what are macs like for playing videos? like mpegs and avis etc..? you still ned loads of codecs or can i use divx or what?

If you're absolutely new to Mac and you want to be leet, then think about One to One by Apple. They give you up to 52 one-hour sessions over the year and you can have them on literally anything, whether it be 123 of your Mac, to Photoshop, Final Cut Pro or 'Open Project' which means you can bring your Uni presentations and documents in and then get advice on how to make them look nicer and run smoother.

Also basic programs - you mean ones you use a lot on your PC? Winzip is Stuffit Expander which can do .rar, .zip, .sit, .sitx, and about 20 more. Azureus is most definitely available from Source Forge and has been for yonks, as is Firefox, Adobe CS, Microsoft Office etc.

I think that the Mac Minis are solid computers and work really well if you think about the 1.83GHz or 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processors in such a tiny box! Your desk looks near and you've got a powerful computer which can hold 2gb of ram if you want it.

You looking at buying new or second hand?

Mac Minis are gonna be discontinued so it's rumored in a few months but nothings for sure. Also new Quicktime and VLC are really decent for supporting pretty much any video type and now they read WMP files.

There doesn't seem to be many 'problems' in this thread. Which is good for me cause im thinking of buying a mac. Sick of windows and my noisy 3m square PC case...

THANKS!!

Switching is pretty easy really, it's most of the same stuff just when you look at it you won't be sure what to do. Like whys there no start button, how do you get to everything etc. Whys there not control panel etc!

Well everything is mostly accessed through the dock. Default IE on mac is safari but you can get firefox no worries. You can unzip files etc and yeah you can run Azureus.

Once you learn all about it it's much quicker for a lot of stuff, a lot of shortcuts to make getting around very easy, you can even create your own.

Lots of cool little applications and files are much the same, apart from mpg's but you can get a plugin for quicktime to sort that.

A lot of PC users knock macs big style, but I don't care because for me it's a million times better. on my MBP the start up and shut down time is very fast, awsome bright screen, backlit keyboard, amazing battery life, all bluetooth and wireless built in.

Get a mac (Y)

Ring apple and they should do you an awsome discount, espically if your a student.

great, thanks for the advice guys. im not fully new to macs as ive been using them at college but i just wanted to know what i was getting into, just incase i sold my pc, got a mac, and thought, oh.. i cant do that really important thing i need to do anymore...

i also decided a few hours ago that a mac was a stupid idea and i just needed to format windows and go back to the nice secure 64-bit version.

then 30 mins ago i was pissed of with all the error messages i got on a clean install and decided i hate windows.

brand new mini mac it is then

phil

also.. what do mac users do about virus stuff? like, is there some avg alternative? or are there just no viruses?

Edited by himynameisphil

i went from windows to mac. brilliant.

went for an imac but then changed to a mbp. although i still prefer the looks of the macbooks.

anyway as for the people saying about not being able to run windows. you can get an office 2004 disc for 100 quid which has word and stuff one. it has 3 install on so can sell it on after. or use bootcamp for the full operating system.

also someone mentioned student discount. they do some good deals. not sure if you can still get the free ipod though

also someone mentioned student discount. they do some good deals. not sure if you can still get the free ipod though

Buy a qualifying Mac and a qualifying iPod from an Apple Retail Store or a participating Apple Store for Education site between September 12th, 2007, and October 30th, 2007, and receive a postal rebate of £85 (UK) / €130 (Ireland), excluding taxes and levies.

BTW Cheapest iPod Nano is £99 including VAT.

Edited by Nick Carter

Just go on the education store. There are discounts for pretty much any student. They don't really check it out, just ask for a college name or whatever. I got a discount off my imac when I was at college from the website.

Surprisingly enough you can only get discount if you're 16-18 and in College, or in a fulltime university degree - no BTEC's.

Every college and Uni on their list gives a list of names or people who are subscribed on the course and if your name doesn't match up then your order's cancelled or enquired into, deceptive or what.

Edited by Nick Carter

You will be able to read from it, but not write to it. If the drive is just a backup (or you can back the data up somewhere else), just format it as FAT32 and copy all your stuff back onto it. If it's used for storage then you may have to piss about with partitioning it so you have some of the drive NTFS and some FAT, then copy from the NTFS partition to the FAT, then enlarge the FAT partition and repeat. Which would be a bit annoying (especially if the drive is more than half full) but possible.

Surprisingly enough you can only get discount if you're 16-18 and in College, or in a fulltime university degree - no BTEC's.

Every college and Uni on their list gives a list of names or people who are subscribed on the course and if your name doesn't match up then your order's cancelled or enquired into, deceptive or what.

Well i dunno about that but i just bought a mac mini off the education store and they just asked for my college name and city.. seemed to work ok

Just a quick question..

Is the student discount only for Uni or will it work for College students?

If I am not too late, Yes you can get a discount but I advise to go to a Apple Store as the discount is bigger. On the online educational store I could of got a Black Macbook (RRP £999 (back in April)) for something like £914 but I went into a Apple store and I got it for something like £850.

If I am not too late, Yes you can get a discount but I advise to go to a Apple Store as the discount is bigger. On the online educational store I could of got a Black Macbook (RRP £999 (back in April)) for something like £914 but I went into a Apple store and I got it for something like £850.

I'm about 98.13% sure it's the same discount as education. There's different rates for different products and it depends if you're in Uni or College as to rates too.

I'm about 98.13% sure it's the same discount as education. There's different rates for different products and it depends if you're in Uni or College as to rates too.

nah man,

on the apple store website, you get a better discount if you are actually using the university internet (i.e at uni) as opposed to just typing in which uni you go to which you have to do if your just using your home internet.

so maybe if you go into the store or ring up and physically prove you are at the uni, you get the bigger discount, as you would buying online from your uni internet??

Help help help, right got final cut pro 5.1 from college on my mac, but it keeps coming up with general error 41 whenever I try to load my college project up, also I've asked this question before but here goes, trying to link my windows to mac via ethernet what do I do on the mac side? as its picking up a connection on the windows side