Monty Spay Good Or Bad?

Daffy04

Sorry if this a thread been made many times but my search option wasn't working. I was just wondering wether anyone has used the monty spray for the rim and wether it is any good or not as im gettin silver rims and would rather not cover them in tar or get a grind. So tell me your reviews please.

Edited by Daffy04

Sorry if this a thread been made many times but my search option wasn't working. I was just wondering wether anyone has used the monty spray for the rim and wether it is any good or not as im gettin chrome rims and would rather not cover them in tar or get a grind. So tell me your reviews please.

mates used it and thought it was shit hot

Its pretty much just hairspray...

Go get some hairspray its what i used to use about 3years ago when i went through the stage of putting all amounts of shit on my rim

But seriously just get a grind, or find some decent pads that work on a smooth rim

Alexxx

Chrome rims make brakes better anyway, try it just clean without anything, and if that doesn't work buy some nicer pads.

clean chrome rims with windowlene or similar (not furniture polish) then you get badass brakes (unless it's wet or they get dirty)

Edited by poopipe

Sorry wasnt ment to right chrome i ment silver ive chaged it now the 07 echo's if that helps

I think you mean anodized as well :P

What pads are you running at the moment? Try some Plazmatic CRMs, i imagen they would work really well on an anodized surface but i've never tried it myself. I'm using them on painted sidewalls front and rear, vee and magura, both DX32s on a stock and they are rather good :D

I think you mean anodized as well :P

What pads are you running at the moment? Try some Plazmatic CRMs, i imagen they would work really well on an anodized surface but i've never tried it myself. I'm using them on painted sidewalls front and rear, vee and magura, both DX32s on a stock and they are rather good :D

Well at the moment im using maggy blacks on the front and planet x on the rear with tar as the wheels i have at the moment are ones i got because they were cheap, but im hopefully getting some new rims and would rather not be coating them in tar so ill definatly give the crms a look Thanks :D p.s im possibly thinking about the 07 echos has anyone used them ?

Edited by Daffy04

Monty rim spray is nothing like hair spray. It is pine pitch based (kind of like the stuff that baseball players put on grip area of bat).

If you pads are sticking to the rim.... you used too much! If it is attracting every thing from logs to rocks....you used too much.

Trick of application:

Clean rim quickly with damp cloth, dry.

Spin wheel.

Holding spray can at least 12 inches away, give three or four quick bursts.

Put bike on ground, roll forward with brakes dragging to even it out.

That is it, takes only a couple minites to do it properly.

Monty rim spray is nothing like hair spray. It is pine pitch based (kind of like the stuff that baseball players put on grip area of bat).

If you pads are sticking to the rim.... you used too much! If it is attracting every thing from logs to rocks....you used too much.

Trick of application:

Clean rim quickly with damp cloth, dry.

Spin wheel.

Holding spray can at least 12 inches away, give three or four quick bursts.

Put bike on ground, roll forward with brakes dragging to even it out.

That is it, takes only a couple minites to do it properly.

Any reason why this has to be done quickly?

To be perfectly honest I have used all sorts of crap and have always gone back to a light grind with soft pads. I found tar was just messy and you start with a little and you end up using more and more as with all the above methods as they coat the rim and leave crap all stuck in your pads.

I have used monty brake spray and it never worked well in my opinion as too much would stick your rim to the pad and using the method described above meant it lasted about 15 minutes riding till you started to feel as if you wanted more. The above problem with every single method above is water and as we are all aware autumn is apon us even though summer never seemed to apper. If any and i mean any get slightly damp then they slip like you don't have a brake then you have to properly clean them all off before reapplying which is a bitch, there are 2 things for you to do and a third if you want.

1. Clean your rim with white spirit and take your time and make sure all crap is gone.

2. Properly set up your maggies or v's with decent pads, if they don't grip they are not set up correctly or need bleeding.

3. Grind your rim, it doesn't need to be harsh just an edge but that way you never have to worry about gripping only the price of replacing pads.

The best set up I have ever had was a very very very clean d521 that i use to clean every ride with muc off and some plaz pads. I spent a tonne of time setting up and it used to work a treat.

My current set up is also very good which is a light grind on a koxx rim with red rimjam pads, echo booster.

If you need tips on setting up maggies my best advice is when I set them up i tend to put the maggie tight to the rim square with the bolts loose, the slowly pull the lever till it is at the point which you would want brakes to lock. release and tighten the maggie bolts, this has never failed, once you can set them up well this way you never have to touch them and it only takes ten minutes to set them up properly eachtime after.

Matt

Any reason why this has to be done quickly?

No reason, was just pointing out it was something you did not have to spend too much time on.

Matt is absolutly right, you get water on tar or Monty spray and you have no brakes at all. While riders here get more than 15 minites of riding by application of Monty spray by my suggested method... it does not last hour after hour.

Tar and rim spray are bandaids. So is grinding in my opinion. Rims are aluminum....not exactly the hardest of metals....... to get truely consistent braking with grinding you have to remove the wheel, tire, tube and grind fairly often.

Completely agree Matt (and bench testing totally bears it out)...... well set up brakes and clean rims will result in great braking. Just have to make sure rims stay clean (seems to me, alot easier/faster than pulling wheels to grind).

The only (expensive) answer was the original Plazmatic coated rims. A couple people have been working on something similar for a while, hope they succeed....because all other methods of increasing braking are NEANDERTHAL.

Edited by Tim/Trialsin USA

The spray is pointless unless you do comps in rain.

On the other hand, it's great for making rails more grippy, sticking grips to handlebars etc. My dad even found it useful for sealing drafts in his MGA and also connecting a pipe to the radiator. He now carries it around in the car with the rest of his tools.