What Is Brake Pad Material's Technical Name?

max-t

polyurethane (monothane is a type of polyurethane i think) is i think what plazzies are made of. Think tart said its around 82a grade-wise as well. Its only a very narrow band thats any good for pads, like 82a-83b or something like that.

Edited by Krisboats

• 5 months later...
Polyurethane, approx 80 (soft like Plaz which are about 82A)-90 (hard like Orange VIZ pads which are 92A) Shore A hardness.

There's lots of different compounds though.

CRMS are a bit on the soft side (though do not confuse the hardness with wear life) at 92 Shore A. Plazmatic PMGs are the other end of things at 92.

And just to clear the air. I found this on a website:

"- 10th anniversary Limited Edition brake pads from Plazmatic, in the same compound as the CRMs*."

followed by "*This is according to the importer, however we have not tested these pads ourselves just yet - an update when we have!"

This leads one to believe there is some question as to the honesty of the importer (and ultimatly manufacturers) claim. That might not have been the intent, but there is not really any other way of reading that series of statements. As each time other makers change a color, I do not see a similar caviat placed in the product description. Yes indeed it is the exact same compound, only difference is lack of pigment (yellow).

CRMS are a bit on the soft side (though do not confuse the hardness with wear life) at 92 Shore A. Plazmatic PMGs are the other end of things at 92.

"- 10th anniversary Limited Edition brake pads from Plazmatic, in the same compound as the CRMs*."

followed by "*This is according to the importer, however we have not tested these pads ourselves just yet - an update when we have!"

This leads one to believe there is some question as to the honesty of the importer (and ultimatly manufacturers) claim. That might not have been the intent, but there is not really any other way of reading that series of statements. As each time other makers change a color, I do not see a similar caviat placed in the product description. Yes indeed it is the exact same compound, only difference is lack of pigment (yellow).

Im guessing this is refering to tarty?

But i was under the impression even just changeing piment colour could change preformance? may be adam thought this could be the case.

Isn't a pigment part of the compound though? I would infer from that sentance that the pads may not work the same, not that the manufacturer is telling lies.

Isn't a pigment part of the compound though? I would infer from that sentance that the pads may not work the same, not that the manufacturer is telling lies.

The pigments that are used in urethane based brake pads (essentially all the trials pads) is inconsequential to braking performance. Sort of like food coloring in icing on a cake.

The black color in a tire (tyre for you all....ha, ha, ha) is carbon, and is there to improve wear. It does make a difference to the compounds performance.

In summary, don't confuse black in a rubber tire with pigment in a urethane based trials brake pad. This might have been the source of confusion.

The pigments that are used in urethane based brake pads (essentially all the trials pads) is inconsequential to braking performance. Sort of like food coloring in icing on a cake.

The black color in a tire (tyre for you all....ha, ha, ha) is carbon, and is there to improve wear. It does make a difference to the compounds performance.

In summary, don't confuse black in a rubber tire with pigment in a urethane based trials brake pad. This might have been the source of confusion.

One more note. Can there be ingredients one could put into a urethane based pad that would change color and performance? Absolutely, but thus far the offerings out there this is not the case.

So that means that the white TryAll tyres will wear down even quicker?

Check your email Tim, urgent matter.

So that means that the white TryAll tyres will wear down even quicker?

Check your email Tim, urgent matter.

Damn, I knew this would come up when I used the tire comparison...but was lazy and didn't feel like typing anymore! You can have color added to tires to mask the color of the carbon (black). In the case of modern tires, they all have carbon in it. I can not tell you exactly the compound that makes the tires white...... but my strong guess is that there is no effect on performance.

I'm not confusing it,and do know about carbon black and rubber vulcanisation, but I've seen 2 pairs of pads, both made from the same compound but with different pigments, give completely different performances. I accept it isnt a truly scientific observation, but how can something mixed within a material not make a difference?

I'm not confusing it,and do know about carbon black and rubber vulcanisation, but I've seen 2 pairs of pads, both made from the same compound but with different pigments, give completely different performances. I accept it isnt a truly scientific observation, but how can something mixed within a material not make a difference?

I do not have an explanation not having the pads first hand. All I can tell you is that I am familiar with almost all pads on the market... and the compounds they are made of. All I can say is that either the pigment in one was a HUGE mistake (and not just pigment at all, but an actual compound changing material) on the part of the maker or the compounds themselves were not the same even though the maker thought they might have been.

I thought that the food coloring in the icing was pretty clear. I know there will suddenly be baking experts claiming they know the difference in taste and consistency....but for the mortals among us it makes no difference. In a labratory any ingredient change of any material has an effect. The question we have to ask outselves is: does it have any practical effect? In the case of all the urethane based trials pads, no.

Absolutely spot on Tim!

Pigments are called pigments because they change the plastic colour and nothing else of significance. A colour is usually chosen for pimpery reasons or to make it easier to easily distinguish different compounds used by the same company (For either branding or convenience reasons) :).

Edited by psycholist

Bearing in mind these bits of plastic were out the back door of a local moulding shop, I reckon they contained liquid pigments rather than powder, which as you say are compound-changing materials, still called pigments though :P