Air Rifles

Lawnmowerman

BSA and Webley Scott do some good starter guns, when i was looking to get into shooting, i bought the Airgun magazine, it has guns ranging from £100 - £1000's my advice get one of those magazines 1st and see what you like, BSA you can't go wrong really for a starting gun, there inbetween £100 n £200, there are loads of starting deals in the Airgun magazine too, so if you find anything put it up and we'll tell you what we think.

Edited by speedyjustice

you HAVE to have a rifle at 12ft/lb or less unless you have a fire arms licence.

.177's are more accurate. I hope a no all doesn't come on here telling me i'm wrong either lol. There are reasons that are boring and technical to prove this, but i'll not go into it unless i have to.

For targets, it's .177. I competed in Field target shooting for years inmy early teens. I'd advise joining a club, then it gives you a purpose to shoot. It gets very boring very quickly just going shooting for no reason.

I used to have a Precharged pneumatic Ripley AR4, a Sportsmatch GC2, a Weirach HW77K, and Air arms XM100, and an Air arms TX200 SR (Semi-recoiless: the action moved inthe stock when fired to reduce recoil and improve accuracy.

Tips for you to buy:- If you want accuracy, pneumatics are the way. NO recoil and no spring irregularity to change muzzle velocity. But, much pricier with aqua lungs required, pressure guages etc.

.177 for accuracy.

.22 for hunting/closer range.

Ask away and i will help rather than typing tons!

totally depends what you want to shoot, and how. IF you want to get into field target, don't buy anything yet. Get to your local club and have a natter. Guarenteed, you'll buy the wrong stuff otherwise. Obviously you'll not buy 2k worth of gear, but if you speak to the people there, they will advise you on what is available, for a beginner that will get you into it giving you the best chance to learn, pick it up and have a good chance of enjoying yourself while progressing.

Field target shooting is basically shooting at knock down metal targets. They are all of a certain size, placed throughout courses in forests etc, and all at different distances. You go around a course set out by the club. 30 shooting points in summer, 25 in winter, with 2 targets at each point. You have a hole in the target that you must shoot through. If you do, the target knocks back and you score a point. You pull the target back up with a string and move on. Obviously, points make prizes.

I did it for years and with a lot of success. I was junior north west champion a few years on the trot, i was regularly placing top 3 in the 'normal' competitions open to all ages and came 4th in the national junior's one year. Not to blow my own trumpet :P

The thing with field target that is often different to other types of shooting, is the positions. There is sometimes a prone position in the course somewhere, lying down. There is always a kneeling one, a standing, and the rest you are sta on your arse with your knee's up and you rest your rifle on your knee.

Easy you mihgt think, but when the target is 4cm, at 75 yards, with wind taking your pellet up to 2 feet, or 10 yard target that is 1mm larger than the pellet you're firing, it's never easy.

IF you do get into this, you'll be steering clear of break barrel rifles, sticking to .177, and eventually everyone tends to go down the route of pneumatic rifles, which push the pellet out with a blast of air. Scopes are obviously essential, and you'll be after a scope with a parralax adjustment, which is a range finding wheel. Basically a focus, so you focus it in, then where the focus wheel lands against the arrow, it tells you your distance, and then you can adjust the cross hair with another wheel so that you always aim dead center of the target regardless of distance.

It's as complex and pricy as you want to make it really. I'd masively reccomend field target shooting.

Here is the british field target assosiation site with masses of info.

http://www.bfta.net/

Bongo

Right, actually read the rest of the topic other then the 1st post...

Im looking to spend around 250 for just the rifle, without scope or anything, .22, for shooting birds (the ones your allowed to shoot ;)) and rabbits at local farmers fields.

Reccomend me a gun :)

Before any of you picky bastards post!:

With permission of the land owners.

Edited by Alan

To back up Bongos post about FT, my setup was a Air Arms Pro Target which was about £800, with a Leupold 20-50x50mm Sidewheel scope which was about £1500.

Yes it gets very expensive, and at one time my dad owned about 6 guns, and 3 Leupold scopes, and numerous other scopes :/

Ahhh air rifles.

I use to shoot in the nationals of hunter field targets when i was when younger in the junior class but due to education i have stopped for now.

If you are to go with compressed air cylinder rifles, i would definitly got for the air arms s200 which was also recomemnded by lawnmower man i can see. These are amazing guns for a starter aswell as a semi pro and doesnt cost too much either!. Not sure about spring loaded guns but calibre size i would go for .177 for target shooting and .22 for hunting. Although the shooting prejectory line will 'curve' more, it is equally as effective as the .177 so it's up to you what pellet size you want! tThey both have their pros and cons.

As for power, you may know that 12ft/lbs is the legal limit, anymore and you could go to jail so you don't want to be owning a gun with more than this. 12ft/lbs is alot of power, to put it into context, it only takes 2ft/lbs to pierce someones skull at close distance, not sure close but i overheard it at the local gun club. And that brings up my next point, where abouts do you live? there may be a local gun club you could join, if there is i'd advise to join it and meet people, you will learn alot there and meet new people.

If you get the s200 i can assure you, you will not be disappointed, i use to have one before my S400 and i can say it is amazing. Consistant throughout and pin point accurate.

If i remember correctly an Air Arms S200 is around £250

I still have my S400 actually and may sell it in the near future but here are some pics for you to browse on :P

This is actually the S400 Nick Jenkinson ConVersion which has the only extended cylinder that is the same length as the barrel itself, re-configured trigger system for minimal action needed for the comps and custom tip.

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3852.jpg

JK

Cool, I used to be really good friends with Nick :)

His workmanship is awwwwwwwwwesome

i got a Crossman Ratcatcher pritty good gun but you have to use CO2 canisters with it. which you have to change a fair lot (every 20 shots). And there 10p each. Not sure on the price of them now but I think it was about £150 when I got it.

Matt Rushton

If you was to go CO2 this will probably cost you more if the long run and running CO2 isn't so consistant with each shot as temperature can affect it big time.

JK

His workmanship is awwwwwwwwwesome

Yeah man I had an XM100 at one point which used to be his, and an S300 which he worked on, and my dad had an S400 which he had played around with, and numerous Pro Targets. He's one of the nicest guys ever, I remember just chilling round his house in awe at the amount of guns and scopes he had. I swapped my flatland BMX with him for a gun IIRC, it was for his son.

Good choice man, I rocked an AA S200 when they very first came out. You'll love it. They're very very accurate and very light. I think the only reason I got rid of mine is because I wanted something with a bit more weight in it for shooting FT.