Virtual Dj

*PHIL*

Hi there,

Right so, I used to DJ, had some decks, did all the vinyl and stuff and decided that vinyl is rubbish and cd decks were too expensive, so I gave up and sold the decks.

So recently I decided to try Virtual DJ and have made some mixes with it... One can be downloaded here - MIXY

I was just wondering what peoples views are on this kind of DJ'ing. Back when I had decks I thought that Virtual DJ didnt really count as you don't need to beatmatch anything, but now after trying it, I find a lot of it is actually finding songs to fit together and being creative with the mix.

I dont see it much differently from modern CD decks as some can automatically beatmatch too.

So, do you think that Virtual DJ doesn't count as being a DJ?

Do you think someone would just get laughed at if they tried to DJ at a club turning up with only a laptop?

A fair amount of clubs (mainly the smaller ones, obviously) use solely VDJ for day to day use, with the occasional "live" DJs, so to speak.

VDJ is great in that both beginners and more experienced DJs can use it, and there is some element of skill to use it well, however at the top end of things, Vinyl is the way to go (in a kinda purist sort of way), though CD isn't far off...