How Does Frame Geomentry Affect A Bike?

steve@banbury-trials

hello,im wanting to change my frame sometime in the next few months,i've been looking through sites seeing whats on the market ,and now i have come a bit stuck :ermm: .

i just realised that i dont really know how frame designs affect the way a bike rides.

i know how that a higher bb makes being on the back wheel easyier but picking the front up for a muanual a bit of a bitch,but this is really the only thing i know how frame designs affect riding.so ,here are my questions. . . .

1. what difference do head angles make?

2. what difference does a longer wheel base make compared to a short wheel base?

3. how do chainstay lengths affect a bike?

4. how does different BB shell head tube lengths make a difference?

also what moves are generally easyier with certain frame geomentry?

oww yeah before people say ,i know that changing stems,bars ,forks etc make a difference .

any help gratefull,steve

1. what difference do head angles make? Slacker head angle = shorter reach

2. what difference does a longer wheel base make compared to a short wheel base? Longer=easier for taps and sidehops, Shorter= Eaiser for bunnyhops and manuals

3. how do chainstay lengths affect a bike? bike balances eaiser on backwheel with shorter chain stays, easier to tap with longer.

4. how does different BB shell head tube lengths make a difference? there just for the parts you use.

There will proberly be more benifits thats all I know/think.

Having a short wheelbase makes the bike easier to pull up and bunnyhop and manual etc....Having a long wheelbase is good for taps, gaps, and sidehops etc.

The Having long chainstays also makes taps gaps etc easier, and short ones will make the bike really flicky and easy to spin

I'm not too sure about head angle, but a shallow one will make the bike shorter than it really is, and a steep one makes it feel longer....

I don't think bottom bracket or headtube sizes affect the way the bike feels, they just depend on the design of your frame really

adamant a3 long... its all you need to know :D im 5ft 9-10. I can gap like a beetch and bunny hopping isnt a problem, best of both worlds with this frame :D.

Ive always had short bikes around the 1000wb or smaller, and python 1045 was just to long.

Edited by *OnzaMike*

All that tells you is how it differs from a normal bike, not between trials bikes. :huh:

can u not work the rest out? hes saying why this does that and that does this? if you copy. just apply that to the bikes your looking at (Y)

"With this information, you can now know to what extent a frame is dedicated to trials after examining its geometry specs. (hint from gurus: looking at our frame list comparing geometry specs of different frames, and then reading user comments on the forum can be astoundingly useful experience)."

can u not work the rest out? hes saying why this does that and that does this? if you copy. just apply that to the bikes your looking at (Y)

"With this information, you can now know to what extent a frame is dedicated to trials after examining its geometry specs. (hint from gurus: looking at our frame list comparing geometry specs of different frames, and then reading user comments on the forum can be astoundingly useful experience)."

^ exactly...^