Stupid Problem To Have......

Phil H

Basically I have an 07 26" rim and my maxxis high roller won't stay on it, sides keep popping off.

This is because the echo rim is smaller than standard rims, it fitted fine on a tryall and a mavic but the tyre is way too large for the echo as is evident from the ease in which it went on, no tyre levers and no effort.

After 3 weeks not riding because waiting for new wheel this is a very annoying problem to have.

So what tyre do I need for things to work properly?

Cheers, Phil

Sure the bead wasnt broken when you took it off the other rim?

also have you tried making sure the wheel is suspended off the ground when you inflate it? Otherwise the pressuse as it pushed on the floor tends to push the bead up into the rim meaning on the oposite side its pushed upwards also and can flop off the rim.

Sure the bead wasnt broken when you took it off the other rim?

also have you tried making sure the wheel is suspended off the ground when you inflate it? Otherwise the pressuse as it pushed on the floor tends to push the bead up into the rim meaning on the oposite side its pushed upwards also and can flop off the rim.

Yep I'm sure as I have a spare echo rim around in the garage and I tried a different tyre on it to test the size and it went on very very easily again.

Yep tried holding it up and using an electric pump, tried holding it up and using a footpump, tried high pressures, tried low pressures, tried holding the bead in all the way round as I pumped it up.

I can only conclude the wheel is ridiculously small

Phil

Echo rim is too THIN? compared to the mavic u had last :S.

my hi roller was hard as anything to get off an 06 front rim, but rears fine :S.

Matx

Not too thin....... too small, the circumference of the wheel is not large enough so the bead cant push in all the way around the rim

Phil

How old's the tyre?

Preety damn old, maybe a year :S or abit less.

But like I said I tried it with another tyre to check and it went on very easily again

I guess you would know what tyre to go for, what would you recommend?

Phil

I had this when I went from a D521 to an Onza Hog up front. So long as I keep track of it when I'm pumping it up and make sure the bead's inside the sidewalls of the rim, it stays put fine

Tried it and it still pops out (N)

cheers, Phil

Basically I have an 07 26" rim and my maxxis high roller won't stay on it, sides keep popping off.

This is because the echo rim is smaller than standard rims, it fitted fine on a tryall and a mavic but the tyre is way too large for the echo as is evident from the ease in which it went on, no tyre levers and no effort.

After 3 weeks not riding because waiting for new wheel this is a very annoying problem to have.

So what tyre do I need for things to work properly?

Cheers, Phil

Not too thin....... too small, the circumference of the wheel is not large enough so the bead cant push in all the way around the rim

Phil

WELCOME TO MY WORLD. :)

Brum riders will tell you how bad my rim/tyre were. Had my rim for ages and battered the crap out of it. Then my Minion started popping out and it got REALLY annoying, was doing it far too frequently. First thing I tried was a new tyre, it worked for a little while but then that just started popping out too.

Then it was HAMMER TIME. Bashed the rim back out using a hammer I borrowed off the workshop boffs at Uni. You really have to hit them hard to do ANYTHING at all. That destroyed the wheel build but let me ride up until now whilst I'm waiting on spokes for a DOB rim.

So yeah, new tyre, then hammer, then new rim.

The beadings probably stretched where it's been on two rims previously an they were larger than the one you have now.

That is a distint possibility, but then again I tried another tyre. I'll make sure I try a few others today and see whats gonig on.

Phil

Are the sides of the tyre all waver and loose flexy?

They are abit actually, guess that is the answer, find out this afternoon if it is anyway.

cheers, Phil

Right I'm getting out the tape measure!

Echo Rim - Diameter: 56.90cm Circumference: 178.76

Tryall Rim 57.35cm Circumference: 180.17

Right a good 2 cm different which explains why not many old and used tyres fit on the echo well.

Just stupid

Phil

;) They are smaller yes, but if you buy a new tyre or even a barely used one with tonnes of life left in it'll be fine. I used to have the same problem ask jonny_Mc. I'm sad to say it happened literally every 1-200 yards so i soon got angry and used the quicker way of just dragging/throwing the bike to the next riding place.

;) They are smaller yes, but if you buy a new tyre or even a barely used one with tonnes of life left in it'll be fine. I used to have the same problem ask jonny_Mc. I'm sad to say it happened literally every 1-200 yards so i soon got angry and used the quicker way of just dragging/throwing the bike to the next riding place.

Hmm yeah, what tyre to get.... any ideas?

I made a discovery today. I've been thinking the actual rim is 26" large for many years now! Only when I measure it and found it was 57cm did it dawn on me it isn't!

Phil

The Onza Hog rims may well have a slightly smaller diameter then, not just my kit :P

It's because they are single wall.

Right a good 2 cm different which explains why not many tyres fit on the echo well.

More like 4mm (diameter - where it matters), hardly massive! As has been said a really old tyre stretches.

I have the same problem but with an echo tire. If you hold it in place where it comes out and then pump it up or lightly pump it up and pop it back in place.. Sometimes takes me a few goes to get in but at least fixing punnies is easy:)

It's because they are single wall
That seems silly. Surely it'd make more sense to make the rim able to hold tyres a little better. I mean, it would require you to use slightly longer spokes, but no so significantly different that you couldn't get them, right?

Anyway, it's not such a big issue it stops me riding it, so I guess Onza figured the same and that it was a decent compromise

I have the same problem on my bike...cant fit my brand new Hansventure tyre on my tryall rim, altough the tyre fits my Alex DM24 rim :S

But that makes no sense because the try-all is a sensible size as opposed to the echo which is alot smaller :S

Phil

I have the same problem but with an echo tire. If you hold it in place where it comes out and then pump it up or lightly pump it up and pop it back in place.. Sometimes takes me a few goes to get in but at least fixing punnies is easy:)

Not the same problem mate, I held it in place on the floor on my knees and with my hands so the bead was in all the way round and it still kept popping out, when I did get it to stay in as soon as I put pressure on it popped out.

But its all good now because I chucked on a different tyre :)

Phil

That seems silly. Surely it'd make more sense to make the rim able to hold tyres a little better. I mean, it would require you to use slightly longer spokes, but no so significantly different that you couldn't get them, right?

It's not such a big issue it stops me riding it, so I guess Onza figured the same and that it was a decent compromise

Sort of. If you make the rim very shallow it will flat spot very easily and be pretty weak in general. I would rather have a ~100g lighter rim and mean I have to align the tyre (10 second job - put SOME air in, go round checking the bead is set and then pump the rest) than having a heavier rim.

Yeah, it would cost a lot to get new rim tooling made just to make it easier to put tyres on (it's the same rim as a Try-All).