Autocad/3dsm Import Problems

br3n

I'm having some issues importing from autocad into 3dsm - the problem is that somewhere between the two programs the curves get lost and turned into straight lines, heres what I mean... (attached)

Does anyone know how to stop this happening?

(I'm using autocad 2008 and 3dsm 8 - im getting an object enabler error with cad and told to go to autodesk.com/oe but I still cant see anything for 2008, because max8 is old im saving as 2004 autocad file and importing that... im lost :()

Thanks in advance for help.

post-277-1201551631_thumb.jpg

Which direction are you going? AutoCAD into 3ds or 3ds into AutoCAD?

I use AutoCAD more than 3ds and my curves do that, but just regenerating the drawing works.

Your problem probably isn't as simple as that though, plus looking at some of your stuff you're more adept at it than me anywho.

Im going from autocad (2008) to max8... but its not that simple..

Becasue (I think) my version of cad outdates my version of 3dsm Im having to save the cad file as a 2004 cad file and then using max import it. When I do this I get an object enabler error which i can continue without (which gives me that form)

I know in autocad you can change the number of points in a curve for display.. I always assumed as its vector based that was just a representation and not any part of the actual form which is curve.

I know a fair amount about autocad but next to nothing about 3dsm so im lost inbetween them at the mo.

It's converting the splines to polylines

in Max. select the spline, go to the modify panel and increase the interpolation value. If that doesn't sort it immediately you'll need to set curve values on each vertex manually.

if you get confused pm me - if you get really confused mail me the file and i'll sort it :)

It's converting the splines to polylines

in Max. select the spline, go to the modify panel and increase the interpolation value. If that doesn't sort it immediately you'll need to set curve values on each vertex manually.

if you get confused pm me - if you get really confused mail me the file and i'll sort it :)

excellent, words which I think make sense! at college now so will have a go when i get home, expect a pm later though! hah... (thanks xxx)

(by the way, in cad.. to extrude a shape they have to be polylines, so before they were extruded (solid) they are polylines... I dont know if that changes anything)

Edited by br3n