Crapheapchallenge.co.uk

Jonny Jones

For those of you who haven't seen/heard about this, here's the website. Basically myself, John Shrewsbury and a bunch of my mates (1 of them rides a bit, the others don't) are doing a ten-day roadtrip from North to South France and home again, driving cars that have cost no more than £500 - raising money as we're going. Have a look around and PLEASE sponsor us if you have a couple of quid free, every little counts, and its going to the Naomi House Childrens Hospice - a childrens home for terminally ill kids. The donation site is 100% secure and all you need is a credit or debit card to donate. We're aiming for £500, this includes donations from the website as well as good, old fashioned sponsorship forms filled out by friends, family and work colleagues.

www.crapheapchallenge.co.uk

We're also looking for more sponsors. If you're interested, go to the sponsors page whilst you're on the website. Bare in mind John Shrewsbury and myself will be riding and filming some riding whilst we're in France. So if any shops wanna donate parts and things (asking a lot, I know... pretty cheeky too but hey if you don't ask you don't get lol) you'll be noted in the credits of the YouTube 'tv' series I'll be editing together. You'll also have space to advertise on my car - big stickers/vinyl/whatever promo stuff you have. We're leaving midnight on the 1st August (Thursday night/Friday morning).

Thanks people! :)

Jonny.

Edited by Jonny Jones

doing a similar stunt this summer, gota get as far away form uni (in lancaster) as possible in 36 hours, without spending any money! its guna be fun

Is that like on e of the Jailbreak/Hitch to Morocco type deals?

Great fun - someone from uni got to the US, and through customs etc, god knows how!

depemds on the set up, you either pay for it yourself, so you decide before eg i wan2 go to spain, and see how far you get in 36hours then pay for the rest of the way, when you get to spain you have a holiday and then come back.

or you take the money for getting back out of the money you raised, so take a train and stay in hostles and stuff till you get back home, if that makes sence so like every £100 you raise £25 goes on getting back or something like that.

Edited by M-i-t-c-h

Fair enough for doing this and raising money for charity. Not trying to put you down but more extreme car challenges have been done before:

Mongol Rally London to Ulaanbaatar the capital of Mongolia in cars under 1 litre engine size with no support teams.

Russia, Kazakhstan, desserts, no support teams, getting robbed for fuel, stopped at check points, stuck at border crossings for days etc... its pretty crazy :P

Mongol Rally London to Ulaanbaatar the capital of Mongolia in cars under 1 litre engine size with no support teams.

Russia, Kazakhstan, desserts, no support teams, getting robbed for fuel, stopped at check points, stuck at border crossings for days etc... its pretty crazy :P

Isn't the entry fee a fair bit of mulah?

I looked into doing the Mongol Rally a couple of years ago but it didn't go any further than just thinking about doing it.

Tomturd did it though and got all the way to the end in an old ford fiesta!

The organisers work hard dealing with entries etc... so they ask for an entry fee per car to cover this. Between 2-3 people its not too much money. You also have to raise £1000 charity money per car, then you have to pay for your return journey home after the event. It isn't just a drive around France so you have to get visa's to move between certain countries too.

If you raise enough money and getting sponsors, after paying the £1000 to charity you could potentially cover all the other costs using the extra money you raise and it wont have cost you anything to take part.

I am guessing Jonny will be documenting this trip and putting videos on the internet and maybe put together a DVD too, so with promotion work this whole idea could take off and become a similar yearly event. I was just putting the Mongol Rally forward as a similar event that has developed into a very successful yearly fund raising event. I guess you also have big events like Gum Ball too.

All these sorts of events just happen because people love to explore and see new things. Also the success of the Jules Verne book 'Around The World in 80 Days' certainly helped people think up trips like this.

Good luck with it all Jonny, I'm sure you will have an awesome time :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Bit of a bump! For those of you who haven't been following the website (im guessing loads of people, no worries) its been transformed into something resembling professional. Have a look around and PLEASE sponsor us if you have a couple of quid free, every little counts, and its going to the Naomi House Childrens Hospice - a childrens home for terminally ill kids. The donation site is 100% secure and all you need is a credit or debit card to donate. We're aiming for £500, this includes donations from the website as well as good, old fashioned sponsorship forms filled out by friends, family and work colleagues.

www.crapheapchallenge.co.uk

We're also looking for more sponsors. If you're interested, go to the sponsors page whilst you're on the website. Bare in mind John Shrewsbury and myself will be riding and filming some riding whilst we're in France. So if any shops wanna donate parts and things (asking a lot, I know... pretty cheeky too but hey if you don't ask you don't get lol) you'll be noted in the credits of the YouTube 'tv' series I'll be editing together. You'll also have space to advertise on my car - big stickers/vinyl/whatever promo stuff you have. We're leaving midnight on the 1st August (Thursday night/Friday morning).

Thanks people! :)

Jonny.