What Shud I Do...?

Headley

I was putting my new stem on my bike and I was screwing the top-cap bolt on and found it stopped screwing any further in. What has happened is the center of the star nut has loosened and is now spinning as I try and screw the bolt in and is therefore not allowing the bolt to tighten. Has anyone had this happen to them, if so what did you do? Open to any suggestions.

well what to to is take your front wheel off, then get a screwdriver and stick it up the steer tube from the bottom and put pressure on it to hold the middle of it inplace and then unscrew the bolt.

don't know if it will work but its worth giving it a shot!

OR

could you not hammer it out from the bottom so the bolt, top cap and star nut come out as one then just unscrew them both?

Austen.

Edited by austen

ive found a sollution. I'm gunna drill the head of the bolt until i can get the top cap off leaving the shaft of the bolt still in the star nut, then im just gunna hammer it out

Why?! Several people have told you, you can just hold the star still by going up the steerer tube with a long screwdriver or such... you could really just undo the bolt...

And besides, a drill will probably just spin the star and do little else.

Edited by Jolfa

Why?! Several people have told you, you can just hold the star still by going up the steerer tube with a long screwdriver or such... you could really just undo the bolt...

And besides, a drill will probably just spin the star and do little else.

the whole problem is i cant get to the star nut but what im going to do is drill onto the bolt head until it's all removed and can get the top cap off

Edited by Headley

ive found a sollution. I'm gunna drill the head of the bolt until i can get the top cap off leaving the shaft of the bolt still in the star nut, then im just gunna hammer it out

So you ask for peoples advice on what to do, and then you ignore it completely!

As said above, tap the star-fangled nut from underneath until it comes out. Then just hammer in a new one - much quicker, and less complex then your 'theory'.

the whole problem is i cant get to the star nut but what im going to do is drill onto the bolt head until it's all removed and can get the top cap off

Take your front wheel off, put a long screwdriver up the steerer tube, then hold it still and unbolt the top cap, or wack it out completely

DRILLING WILL PROBABLY JUST SPIN THE NUT AND CURE NOTHING.

Better?

What's happened is that the insert in the actual nut itself has come loose, so holding the wedge cluster isn't going to do anything. Highlighting your solution with a larger font and bold type won't make it work.

When this happened to me, I ended up having to use the claw-end of a hammer to try and prise the top cap up enough until I could cut it off. Drilling it might work, but at the same time, it'll spin like a b*****d, meaning it'll be hard to do and will take a while.