Headunits With Usb

TomN

I was wondering if anyone has tried this or know anything about headunits with usb connection can work with external hard drives? Because at the moment i'm using a 4GB usb but its filled up already and i was wondering if the external hard drive would work. Anyone got any experinces?

I'd say possibly not.

I think memory sticks are Solid State where as a HDD has moving parts.

could possibly work but I wouldn't want a HDD rolling around in my car. (would be jumpy and potentially damage the HDD.

Possibly true. Having said that, most of the Alpine HUs have iPod support which works fine with my 30G iPod (which has a proper hard drive inside). I would imagine it would be OK but I dunno.

You'd have to get a notebook harddrive so it's powered off the HU and doesn't require additional power. For the amount they cost (I just found one for £45 for 120Gb), perhaps it doesn't really matter if they break after a year...

Bought the Mrs a Sony Headunit for christmas that has usb on the front of it. It's great for playing music from her 2gb mp3 player and I've plugged my 8gb Nokia N81 into it. It plays tracks from the Nokia but because of the larger storage space, it takes a few minutes to read the storage before it starts playing so I imagine it would take a hell of a lot longer for a large storage device.

I got a Pioneer 7000 UB about 6 months ago and I'm running a Formac 80gb hard drive to it. Works really well, although there is about a 20-30 second delay when you turn it on (while it loads all the tracks)

Its really simple to use although it can be fiddly while driving.

I used a blaupunkt unit before that which was just as good but not as nice to look at :)

Yeah, I've used my 120gb external HD through my head unit before (self powered laptop type one), it was fine with just music on the hard drive, but once I put some documents and videos on there it seemed to get confused and took forever to load each time you turned it on.

To be fair I think you'll have a job finding a journey where 4gb of music runs out ;) I use my 4gb sony MP3 player through mine now and its easily enough space to have a nice veriaty of music on there, without taking days to sort through and find anything.