Very Odd Problem With My Star Nut!

Radfax

I have been riding since 2001 and have always carried work out on my own bikes and NEVER come across a problem even slightly similar to this!

I am currently running a front disc set up on my mod, i got the front brake and front hub built up but had fallen short of some forks with a disc mount. I then swapped my forks for a pair of onza forks, i think they came standard on the T-comp/T-mag. Anyway, the forks didnt come with a star nut, I managed to get my hands on one and when i came to fit it there was a good 2mm gap all the way around the starnut and the inner steer tube. The forks fitted in the headtube of my bike fine and there was no problems there, the thickness of the steer on the forks didnt look to thin but the starnut just did not fit unill it fel 3/4 of the way down the steer before it stopped and was solid...

Now why the hell is this happening? the star nut looks the right size, but it just doesnt fit in the steer at all! i have bodged it seriously shodily by welding a small steel plate in the steer drilling a hole and welding a nut on the top, which isnt the best idea in the world but it works!

Is this a common problem? I thought all star nuts fited in all forks!

I have been riding since 2001 and have always carried work out on my own bikes and NEVER come across a problem even slightly similar to this!

I am currently running a front disc set up on my mod, i got the front brake and front hub built up but had fallen short of some forks with a disc mount. I then swapped my forks for a pair of onza forks, i think they came standard on the T-comp/T-mag. Anyway, the forks didnt come with a star nut, I managed to get my hands on one and when i came to fit it there was a good 2mm gap all the way around the starnut and the inner steer tube. The forks fitted in the headtube of my bike fine and there was no problems there, the thickness of the steer on the forks didnt look to thin but the starnut just did not fit unill it fel 3/4 of the way down the steer before it stopped and was solid...

Now why the hell is this happening? the star nut looks the right size, but it just doesnt fit in the steer at all! i have bodged it seriously shodily by welding a small steel plate in the steer drilling a hole and welding a nut on the top, which isnt the best idea in the world but it works!

Is this a common problem? I thought all star nuts fited in all forks!

I know my last time i went to my local bike shop for one they asked what size, so i'd imagine you bought one thats too small.

My guess is you have a star nut designed for one inch diameter steerer tubes (used on some road bikes and old mountain bikes). You'll need to get one made for an inch and eighth headtube and you should be sorted.

What he said...its the first thing that cae to mind reading your message. Some times a 1inch star nut is good for say echo or zoo forks with the thick steerer, but for the Onza's it sounds like you just have the wrong size. Whack it out pronto and get a big one in!

thanks for that lads, i wasnt aware that they came in a range of sizes i thought it was one size fits all, and the ones with the thicker steer you just had to wack them in a bit harder.

i will give the local bike shop a visit tonight them with forks in hand!

My guess is you have a star nut designed for one inch diameter steerer tubes (used on some road bikes and old mountain bikes). You'll need to get one made for an inch and eighth headtube and you should be sorted.

Make a star nut??

Like the posts above said probly a nut for a smaller steer, i take it your frames is 1/8 ??

If it's just 'cos it's been used (They'll look more curled upright than flat, if you get me?) you could just take it out, flip 'er upside down on the floor, then tap the centre of it to splay the sides out again? Don't know how well it'll hold long term, but it should be decent for the time being.

when i first tried it and it didnt fit thats what i did OBM, but it waqs brand new and i had just taken it out of the box!

So i am assuming that my star nut is to small, so i will go to the shop tommorow and pick up a new one!

Thanks lads!