Tyre Choice - Keep The Try-all Sticky's Or Move On To Some Hookwor

At the minute I run try-all sticky tyres and as they are a soft compound they are really prone to damage. For instance a cut the side wall when street riding, as I don't ride much natural I am looking to go to some harder compound tyres. I'm looking at things such as maxxis hookworms. What are people opinions on these and what do they suggest as an alternative?

Noooooo to hookworms. The 2.5's weigh something ludicrous like 2kg each. The compounds only really relate to the grippyness of the tread, a harder compound will still rip if you ride over glass or whatever... If you're really want a more streety tyre to reduce rolling resistance go for something like DMR Moto RT's or Moto Diggers but if you're still riding 'proper' trials, stick to things like Try-Alls or my personal favourites Maxxis High Rollers...

Actually, are you talking mod or stock?...

i run hookworm 2.5's on my dmr and when i changed from nokian gazza's to these the weight difference was very noticable. it must of added 4kg to the weight of my bike which is quite a lot on any bike. I would say go for something like a dmr moto front and a high roller back. Tom (Y)

For stock i always used a michelin comp 24 on the rear, was a very heavy tyre but the grip was fantastic , was very hard wearing and you could run it so soft due to the massively thick side walls, i ran them for about two years for street and natural and it was sure footed in every condition dry or wet, and i never ever punctured it!!

For the front i used continental twisters as they were something daft like 300 grams i think but had to run more pressure in them although it was not much of a problem beacause the carcas was so supple.