Disk Covers ?

gu trials

the "covers" over the disk in moto trials is only plastic. its only there to stop the disk getting caked in mud on outdoor trials. although i have thaught about using a larger disk than i run and mount it somewhere, where it will stop me hitting my normal disk. probably a silly idea as it would just be a waste of a disk.

Edited by lozz

Hi, The covers on mototrials disk brakes are plastic and are only there to stop the disk getting covered in mud as said in an earlier post. Having a plastic disk cover on a biketrials would be a very expensive and stupid idea. It would be expensive as every time you landed on it hard it would crack or snap meaning you would have to buy a new one every time you missed a sidehop. This is also the reason for it being a stupid idea, that and it wouldn't be the nicest thing to look at. Perhaps a metal one that attach's to the forks or axle/skewer would be a better idea as it would not break as easily when landed on. However i do still think it would not look nice and wouldn't use one on a biketrials. This idea could be developed further to suit other styles of biking such as downhill racing or cross country where there is quite often mud being flicked into rotors therefore contaminating pads. Cheers.

Sam (Y)

I could get 1 made out of aliminium for free but i wouldent know where to mount it on the bike. But since i could get one made for free then i could try it and see what i think because people have different opinions. So if i get one made and have a look and if i decide i dont like it then therr isnt a lot of harm done because it will not cost me anything.

but thanks for your comments so far (Y)

If you can get one for free I don't see why not to try it. It could work amazing and turn into the next big thing with deng making CNC'd, anodized disk covers but it could just be crap and look stupid. But either way theres no loss to you so why not give it a go.

The one's in mototrials are compulsary and, I believe, as much for safety reasons as to stop them getting covered in mud. I think the idea is to reduce the chance of major injury to rider or spotter when things go wrong. Not really any need for that in biketrials. I never hit my rotors anyway... and I run dual disc... and I sidehop to the disc side as well.

A 10mm or so thick polycarbonate plate bolted to the disk mount that sits on the outside of the disk could well work, additional location on the bottom of the fork dropout could provide addition support so that all the force isnt transmitted through the caliper bolts.

Whether or not it would be stiff enough to stop deflection enough so as to not bend the disk would need further investigation.

A man with a copy of solidworks, a cnc mill, some engineeering background and spare time could knock a prototype out pretty easily :)

Now wheres heatsink? :-:D

edit: making it so that it fits all forks would need a fair amount of investigation and design work, however the common relative locations of caliper mount and axle are a good starting point.

Edited by forteh