Quick Locking Mechanism

mehukatti

Never seen a KMC link pop off apart from when my brother did a pegless icepick grind exclusively on his driver and raped that link, and the surrounding ones. If you put them on the right way, they shouldn't be able to pop off at all. It depends how much of a f**ktard you are putting it on - if you're using tools, you're doing it wrong, unless that "tool" is a coin. 20ps are perfect :P

The KMC split-links are made to the fit the 510HX and 410 chains ideally, so with them they work really well. Don't know what they're like with Kools, but I wouldn't trust a Kool ever again anyway.

Regarding the thickness of them, I've seen more people break chains from shitty installation (i.e. the plates 'peeling' off the pin) than I have from links shearing, so I wouldn't have thought that the split-link tearing in half would've been much of an issue.

If some of you are refering to the SRAM-style 2-piece quicklink, don't ever use one of them, ever. Worst pieces of shit ever invented.

post-5427-1207517668_thumb.png

Which is stronger, Red or Blue?

Red is like a split link, blue is a normal link (well, a KHE link)...

So thats the only reason they're weaker?

Does that mean if your split link is the same shape and thickness as the plates in your chain, there would be no comprimise in strenth?

That one both plates are the same shape? surely the extra 'dip' in the plate is still stronger than a mashed pin head??

On my 8 speed cycle shain i used to run it snapped no where near the split link and my kmc is using a split link and has been fine, which is why im sceptical to believing they are weaker.

Edited by ocirderf

dont over tension it and its fine.

The prob is when you kick though... sooo much more load on the chain when you gap than there is when you set it up.

I read on the back of the cheap chain that I bought that the split link was 13% stronger than the rest of it. this is because it has thicker plates which are also the same shape as the normal links plates. It's not snapped yet anyway.

Ah cool, which chain was that? There's a lot of chains that claim really strong split links but I've broken them all :( Too many pies maybe? :lol:

Does that mean if your split link is the same shape and thickness as the plates in your chain, there would be no comprimise in strenth?

Yeah, that should be the case... the clip can still pop off though!

Yeah, that should be the case... the clip can still pop off though!

Surely the clip popping off is only due to it being incorrecty installed. No matter what force is put on there is still two plates holding the pins together.

Yeah, true, however the clips wear out over time and get loose...

Anyway, I wouldn't even use one, with a good chain tool/correct installation joining the chain normally is best in my experience (Y) I've never broken a chain where the links have pulled apart.

Splitting and joining chains is childs play when you get a feel for it, you can feel when the pin is about to pop out the other side, then you stop, leaving the pin still partly in the link on the other side.

I'd just rather not run the risk, it takes about another 30 seconds to split the chain instead of the split link, and as has been said, the split links can shake loose and snap more easily.

Im forever snapping chains. Its probably cos I just bodge everything and dont use a split link. I think that a correctly joint chain will be stronger than one with a split link.

Although( this is going to cause quite a stir):

I also changed my chain alot and always used a split pin.