Quick Locking Mechanism

mehukatti

The link is there for a reason, the pins are mushroom headed and by using a chain tool you are removing the head and making the chain weaker

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

I always use mine simply because it's stronger than a joined link, and - when you trials guys finally start properly using horizontal dropouts on frames - you'll find it's way more convenient than faffing about with a chain-tool again, thus weakening your chain even more.

The link is there for a reason, the pins are mushroom headed and by using a chain tool you are removing the head and making the chain weaker

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

I always use mine simply because it's stronger than a joined link, and - when you trials gays finally start properly using horizontal dropouts on frames - you'll find it's way more convenient than faffing about with a chain-tool again, thus weakening your chain even more.

I always do it using chain tool and my chain never have been broken whereas i have snapped several "quick link".... and i never ever will use a quick link again.

so "ding ding ding" ! i'm not sure we have a winner!

I always do it using chain tool and my chain never have been broken whereas i have snapped several "quick link".... and i never ever will use a quick link again.

(Y) ditto. I don't see why you'd use a quick link that's about 10-15% weaker than the rest of the chain... might as well just use a normal MTB chain, save some weight and still risk your teeth.

How are quick links any weeker than a normal link?, if you talking about the same ones im thinking about, the type with two plates, and a clip that you put on with pliers?. If they have two side plates surely its as strong as the rest of the chain? :ermm:

How are quick links any weeker than a normal link?, if you talking about the same ones im thinking about, the type with two plates, and a clip that you put on with pliers?. If they have two side plates surely its as strong as the rest of the chain? :ermm:

It's the shape of the plate that makes a difference. The KHE split links are actually quite good (same shape as the rest of the chain), but the KMC ones are thinner in the centre which makes them more likely to break.

The clips can also pop off when they get old, I've seen that a few times.... scary.

This is just a guess, but maybe when the chain 'streches' the split-link doesn't? And this would put a lot of stress on the split-link and eventually cause it to snap.

EDIT: nevermind, Adam proved my theory wrong :(

Edited by cai

It's the shape of the plate that makes a difference. The KHE split links are actually quite good (same shape as the rest of the chain), but the KMC ones are thinner in the centre which makes them more likely to break.

The clips can also pop off when they get old, I've seen that a few times.... scary.

Ah right, fair play. I don't use one was just curious, normally just burr the head of the pin over when i've joined my chain, never have any problems.

:S

It was only a theory.

Sorry didn't mean to sound like im having a go or anything.

i Still dont understand how its weaker, the split link has one plate with two pins on it, then another plate; same thickness as all the other links goes on top which is secured by the clip. So its still got two normal side plates on with two mushroom shaped pins wit a tight fitting lockin clip.

I read adams comment and still not sure as to how they are weaker?

post-5427-1207517668_thumb.png

Which is stronger, Red or Blue?

Red is like a split link, blue is a normal link (well, a KHE link)...

http://www.ison-distribution.com/ison/imag...kmc-unilink.jpg

I think what adams saying is that the side plate on the KMC links is thinner metal in the middle, making it more likely to break than the rest of the chain...?

Exactly (Y)

Happend to me 2 days ago :( chain tool ***

I read on the back of the cheap chain that I bought that the split link was 13% stronger than the rest of it. this is because it has thicker plates which are also the same shape as the normal links plates. It's not snapped yet anyway.