Bike Upgrade

TrialZonn

I own a Onza Cleaner and want to upgrade ot further...(cause I am very happy with my frame!!!)

So I think I should start by changing the bottom bracket (I think I have an Onza square taper now)

But I don't know the difference between Square taper and ISIS (there is for sure something more on ISIS, as I saw they were more expensive)

I have not a problem with the money that I can spend, so I want something good (but not the most expensive I can find)

The next thing are the cranks I think I will buy the echo 7075 CNC Cranks from tartybikes as they are a great value

I have also bought a Tensile Brake Booster for the HS33 and some new pads...

If you have something else in mind to help me with my upgrade please inform me...

Thank you for your time

Square taper has 4 edges (like a square) so its square peg, and square hole on the cranks. Isis has lots of edges, like a little cog... meaning that rather than a square which can become rounded, you get lots of contact area, and a stronger set-up like for like.

Best bet if you're learning is upgrade bits as they break, or if theyre really heavy/ not performing well. Is there a problem with your cranks at the moment?

If you feel that you're uncomfortable riding it,

Try to find out what the problem is.

Maybe ride some other bikes to determine what you like and dislike,

Then you may have a clue as to what you want to upgrade.

But if you're happy with it and can ride it comfortably,

Then stick with what you have and only upgrade when something breaks, as Dan said!

:)

Thanks for the information about ISIS...

I'm very satisfied with the bike...

My cranks have not any problem yet but I thought that the Echo cranks are a great deal

As for the Onza hub my bike was equipped with,it has over 30 engagement points...(It's a good idea for the Hope Pro Trials though,thanks)

I have another question...

I was running a 6-speed cassette but 1 of my spockets has broken (and it was the bigger gear with 17 teeth)

So I am now riding with 22T on the front and 16T on the rear...Do you think that this is a good combination for a high performance in pedalkicks and sidehops and for all the other pedal-based techniques???

Or must I change to a 20T front or 19T to the rear???

I have not a problem with riding with a cassette but if there is any way of changing to single speed without buying a new hub please tell me just to know

Thanks to all of you guys

Thanks for the information about ISIS...

I'm very satisfied with the bike...

My cranks have not any problem yet but I thought that the Echo cranks are a great deal

As for the Onza hub my bike was equipped with,it has over 30 engagement points...(It's a good idea for the Hope Pro Trials though,thanks)

I have another question...

I was running a 6-speed cassette but 1 of my spockets has broken (and it was the bigger gear with 17 teeth)

So I am now riding with 22T on the front and 16T on the rear...Do you think that this is a good combination for a high performance in pedalkicks and sidehops and for all the other pedal-based techniques???

Or must I change to a 20T front or 19T to the rear???

I have not a problem with riding with a cassette but if there is any way of changing to single speed without buying a new hub please tell me just to know

Thanks to all of you guys

right...echo cnc cranks = (Y) ...really awesome value, i love mine

22-16 i think is a bit harsh gearing ( 36.3 ) whereas the normal 18-16 is ( 29.7 ) and the other common 18-15 is ( 31.7 ) all values in gear inches by the way,

from sheldonbrown.com...so the ideal would be about 22-20 ratio. ( 29.1 )

You could buy a single speed kit like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2300 but with a larger rear cog from an old cassette

On the onza hitman; i would say upgrade the rear hub....a second hand pro2 could cost as little as £60...................................pm me for the link

22-16 i think is a bit harsh gearing ( 36.3 ) whereas the normal 18-16 is ( 29.7 ) and the other common 18-15 is ( 31.7 ) all values in gear inches by the way,

from sheldonbrown.com...so the ideal would be about 22-20 ratio. ( 29.1 )

I didn't think gear inch values were very useful, i much prefer the standard way of:

22:16 = 1.375

18:16 = 1.125

18:15 = 1.2

22:20 = 1.1

I'd say if you want something similar to 18:16 or 18:15 your best bet is 22:19 or 22:18

22:19 = 1.158

22:18 = 1.223

Many Thanks...

From what you say I think I have to change my gears so..

I will buy a 18T front chainring with a Bashring if I found one(if yoy know where please tell me)

OR I will buy a rear cassette with 19T gear if I found a 6-speed(Echo has made a 7-speed with a gear of 19T but it's still on order and I don't know if it will fit my hub)

Running an 18t chainring can either be achieved with a screw on crank an bash setup (Echo, Tensile etc), or, if you are running/wish to run Middleburns, I can't fault my Heatsink Cloud9 bash at all :)

(www.heatsinkbikes.com)

Tartybikes will be worth a look around, you'll undoubtedly find the bits you need there if you have a look around

If I buy a Middleburn 20T Chainring from tartybikes I may have a problem...

My Bashring has a 4-bolt connection with my chainring (sorry if I spell it wrong)

And the middleburn ring has 5 holes which means that I must change the cranks???or just the bashring???

If I buy a Middleburn 20T Chainring from tartybikes I may have a problem...

My Bashring has a 4-bolt connection with my chainring (sorry if I spell it wrong)

And the middleburn ring has 5 holes which means that I must change the cranks???or just the bashring???

Middleburns use their own specific bashguard design that is splined onto the cranks, the only other option is for the heatsink cloud9 (which I can also very highly recommend :) ).

IMHO middleburns are THE best cranks to have more pricey than all the others but you get lifetime warranty and theyre very strong whilst still pretty lightweight.

I have a spare middleburn bashring with both 20 and 22 chainrings you can have should you choose to pick up a set :)

Middleburns use their own specific bashguard design that is splined onto the cranks, the only other option is for the heatsink cloud9 (which I can also very highly recommend :) ).

IMHO middleburns are THE best cranks to have more pricey than all the others but you get lifetime warranty and theyre very strong whilst still pretty lightweight.

I have a spare middleburn bashring with both 20 and 22 chainrings you can have should you choose to pick up a set :)

I fully agree with this entire post, including the part about having a spare (nicely machined and unabused) bash ;)

Best bet if you're learning is upgrade bits as they break, or if theyre really heavy/ not performing well.

The brake booster and new pads is a good call! And so is the cranks seeing as there very low in price right now.

Id seriously recommend these posts, trust me, save your pennies for later when these times occur. Theres no shitter feeling than looking longingly at your bike after a destroyed hub/broken BB etc. means you can't ride it

But a decent, fully working brake is where I would start first. It usually requires less money :P If you're dead set on upgrading cranks then you'll have to read these guys ^^ posts because I haven't much insight to stock cranks :P

:P

You've got first shout if it's any use to the OP anyway, just letting him know that there's a pretty readily supply of them available if he should wish to change :)

22:19, 20:17, 18:16 and 16:14 are all pretty similar (lightish) ratios, so if it's possible to cheaply/easily try-outably test some to get an idea of what ratio you want/need, it's worth playing now to save money in the long run

edit; I also have a 17t wide based Surly cog going spare...

Thank you...But I don't think I can buy a full set of Middleburn Cranks and Chainring right now...

I just want to solve me gear ratio problem for now

So I want something near to 22-19T,20-17T,18-16 ot 18-15T

And I already have a 22T front chainring with Bashring

a 5-speed cassette(it was 6 but the upper gear with 17T has broken)

with 16T to the top gear

Square taper Cranks...

Have I any options to solve my problem without changing the Cranks or BB???(When I started the topic I didn't know that my gear ratio must be changed first...)

I just want to solve me gear ratio problem for now

So I want something near to 22-19T,20-17T,18-16 ot 18-15T

And I already have a 22T front chainring with Bashring

a 5-speed cassette(it was 6 but the upper gear with 17T has broken)

with 16T to the top gear

Square taper Cranks...

Have I any options to solve my problem without changing the Cranks or BB???(When I started the topic I didn't know that my gear ratio must be changed first...)

Ok, so does the bash/chainring you currently have fit together first off, and do you have a set of cranks that it fits to?

If so, you just need to either get the full cassette together, or convert your hub to singlespeed with the suitable toothed cog, and some spacers.

A complete kit with both can be found at most online bike shops, or you can get hold of cogs and spacers seperately (again, tartybikes would be a good call for these)

Yes the bashring,chainring and the cranks fit together...

I don't have problem buying a 20T front chainring with a bashring (I think at Tartybikes there is only the Tensile UCI bashring that has an option for 20T)or even a 18T front chainring and bashring (If I found one) and leave the cassette as it is

In this way I would have a 20-16 or even better a 18-16T ratio

I think the last is the best option I have but I can't find a 18T Chainring

18t chainrings don't really exist, as there's no room for the 4/5 mounting holes. This is why the only bolt on 18t chainring available at the mo is the Heatsink option, so it's either this or a screw on jobby.

What cranks, bash and rear hub setup are you currently using/planning to use? The Echos? If so these will require a screw on ring, as found here

Yes the bashring,chainring and the cranks fit together...

I don't have problem buying a 20T front chainring with a bashring (I think at Tartybikes there is only the Tensile UCI bashring that has an option for 20T)or even a 18T front chainring and bashring (If I found one) and leave the cassette as it is

In this way I would have a 20-16 or even better a 18-16T ratio

I think the last is the best option I have but I can't find a 18T Chainring

The smallest common size for chainrings is 20t, you physically cant make a smaller chainring without using a different bolt pattern which is what steve@heatsink does with his 18t middleburn bashguards. I think you can get 20t in 5bolt pattern, you might be able to find a 20t in 4 bolt if you search around.

For a short term fix you could fit a full mountainbike cassette which will give you more options to play around with gearing and see which suits you best before making the plunge to singlespeed.

Ive got an old xt cassette that you can have for postage costs, would need to check that I have all the smaller rings to space it all out though. Pretty sure the teeth are all ok apart from one or two of the bigger rings have got bent teeth from when I used to use it for trials on 32/28 gearing about 9-10 years ago, the 16-20 tooth range should be fine :)

edit: damn monkeys typing with their feet aswell, shouldnt be allowed :angry:

Edited by forteh

I recently have a setup of:

the standard Onza cranks (that I bought the bike with)

the Onza square taper BB

the Onza rear hub with a space for a 6-speed cassette

A 22T Chainring with a bashring

I know this is not a good setup cause I didn't change anything from the time I bought the bike

That's why I wanted to upgrade it and change these but...

as it seem the drivetrain comes first...

So there is any way to find a 18T chainring...

But then what an Echo Control for exaple has as a front chainring???

If there is any way to buy the Echo Bashring WITH the 18T chainring please tell me....(if it is compatoble with my cranks)

I recently have a setup of:

the standard Onza cranks (that I bought the bike with)

the Onza square taper BB

the Onza rear hub with a space for a 6-speed cassette

A 22T Chainring with a bashring

I know this is not a good setup cause I didn't change anything from the time I bought the bike

That's why I wanted to upgrade it and change these but...

as it seem the drivetrain comes first...

So there is any way to find a 18T chainring...

But then what an Echo Control for exaple has as a front chainring???

I would keep the cranks, bash and ring that you have now and sort out the rear end as its easier to change the ratios that way. The xt cassette has the 1st 5/6 rings mounted on an aluminium carrier that slips onto the cassette, you may not need the extra spacers to tighten it up. If you measure the width of your current cassette Ill compare it to my spare one to see how well they match :)

Thinking about it, it might be an xtr cassette, either way it would cost you about 5 quid postage to greece :)