Direct Debits And Gyms

nc7r

I'm in a bit of a situation.

I signed a contract saying I would have 9 months membership at a gym at like £22 a month or something. After 3 months I decided it was shit, facilities weren't good enough as they closed the pool for refurb amongst being skint as I'm a student.

I cancelled the direct debit and thought nothing of it.

Had a couple of letters saying please pay / re-instate the direct debit but ignored them.

They've sent me one saying thatI owe them £160.93 as it is still unpaid. They will pass my details on to a third party company and the costs incurred by doing so will be passed on to me. I need to contact them by 16th May 'with a relaistic proposal for a settlement' or forward payment to them. After that date no discussion on the amount is valid.

The place is called Ponds Force which is a gym and pool, run by Sheffield International Venues (http://www.sivltd.com/)

Anyone got any kind of advice? I might just write to them and since I haven't used it in months just suggest like £80?

I signed a contract saying I would have 9 months membership at a gym at like £22 a month or something. After 3 months I decided it was shit, facilities weren't good enough as they closed the pool for refurb amongst being skint as I'm a student.

Had a couple of letters saying please pay / re-instate the direct debit but ignored them.

They've sent me one saying thatI owe them £160.93 as it is still unpaid. They will pass my details on to a third party company and the costs incurred by doing so will be passed on to me. I need to contact them by 16th May 'with a relaistic proposal for a settlement' or forward payment to them. After that date no discussion on the amount is valid.

The place is called Ponds Force which is a gym and pool, run by Sheffield International Venues (http://www.sivltd.com/)

Anyone got any kind of advice? I might just write to them and since I haven't used it in months just suggest like £80?

Go to Citizens Advice, there will be one near you. Its like free legal help for issues just like this.. I'd go for the 'I mainly used the pool, and then you closed it' approach..

Citizens advice we're really helpful to my mate who's landlord was keeping back his deposit, eventually they took away the landlords 4x4 until he paid up (oh, and its a free service I'm 99% sure)

Tell them you left a letter in reception handing in your notice, and thought that they'd already cancelled it surely? Blame the receptionist and sound sweet and innocent.

If this doesnt work they've got you by the balls, pay it even if it means going into your loan etc, as they'll give you a bad credit rating... which isnt good being a student.

kinda says it all really, citizens advice will most likely say the same thing, and then you need to think of your credit score

you haven't abided by the contract...you have to pay...

like i had to pay off a virgin media contract- 12 months min...left the house after 6, had to pay the balance :(..

there's no way out!

edit- i assume that by paying direct debit for 9 months you were getting a better price?

Edited by zhi nuts!

Like said go citizens advice as soon as to find out for your rights, ring up and dispute it and even ask for a copy of the contract. But make sure you sort it by that date as balif charges arn't cheap. I so a programme and a woman didnt pay a 30quid parking fine and by the time balifs where on her doorstep it was 500 i think.

Like said go citizens advice as soon as to find out for your rights, ring up and dispute it and even ask for a copy of the contract. But make sure you sort it by that date as balif charges arn't cheap. I so a programme and a woman didnt pay a 30quid parking fine and by the time balifs where on her doorstep it was 500 i think.

Yeah I saw that - was madness!

She was loaded though lol, handed over a gold card to pay for it!