Designer's

Hello all,

I know there are plenty of designers who use the forum; so just thought it would be interesting to find out what you do for a job.

Im a design engineer for roof trusses and timber frame house's. However i still am only in the training but it seems to be going well.

so.... your turn?

Cheers (Y)

That's not design work. He meant Graphic Designers and suchlike.

Not necessarily. I'm an engineer, not a graphic designer, but I still design engines for a living. Or does that not count?

Design is not a term that's exclusive to graphic designers. However there is truth in your words as I don't class people who operate cnc machines as designers, or engineers for that fact. They are operators/technicians. I won't rant on this but it does get to me when every person that can operate a screwdriver (such as the guy that put up my parents satellite dish) calls themselves an engineer, it really belittles the work that qualified engineers do to the point where unless you are chartered (thank god I will be next year) you are classed as being semi-skilled. Utter joke.

Anyway, on topic. I work as a structural analyst for an industrial diesel engine manufacturer. My job involves using structural and thermal analysis software to optimise the design of our engines. Been working there about 1.5yrs now.