Magura Help!

Concussion

After bleeding my brake last week (TPA wound out while bleeding!) I noticed I have to wind my TPA in quite a bit to get rid of any play in the lever.

What is going on / how can I fix it?

I'm feeling a bit stupid today and I have never taken a lever apart (or really want to) to see what's going on, all I know is it never used to be this bad? :S

Youtube Video -> Original Video

In my experience with this style of lever (where there's no ridge in the cylinder to hold the piston in like the old maguras had) if the piston isnt coming out far enough, it needs more fluid in the system.

Yep like edd said, looks like the pistons stuck and so theres not enough fluid to keep it pushed up against the pin thats attached to your tpa.

If i were you first thing i'd be trying is bleeding with the grub screw still in like you suggested.

Try pumping the lever while bleeding fluid through the system. I had to do this before my master cylinder would fill when I was bleeding this type of brake. Older Maguras don't need half this messing, so I had to bleed mine a second time, pumping the lever before they worked :(...

Looking for a little more advise please!

I forced some fluid through the system with the grub screw still in place, the lever/piston moved out, all looking good. Did another bleed to be safe, pulled the lever and it didn't come back at all, now that is weird cause even when there is air in the system the lever returns. Did the same thing all over again this time putting a bit of lube on the piston area... same result, lever/piston did not return ie: brakes locked on?

I'm stuck... help! :(

Looking for a little more advise please!

I forced some fluid through the system with the grub screw still in place, the lever/piston moved out, all looking good. Did another bleed to be safe, pulled the lever and it didn't come back at all, now that is weird cause even when there is air in the system the lever returns. Did the same thing all over again this time putting a bit of lube on the piston area... same result, lever/piston did not return ie: brakes locked on?

I'm stuck... help! :(

ive had this problem before.....best thing you can do is get the piston out, sounds like a bit of grit was stopping the piston coming up all the way when you bled it when you over bled it the piston would have hit the obstruction and dragged it down, causing excess friction and stopping the piston coming back up....

Clamp the slaves ( with pads ) in a vice or with mole grips...., now remove lever blade and tpa.....then attach a syringe and bleed kit and force water in....this should force the master piston out the top of the lever body, you can then clean both and stretch the spring slightly

Edited by Alex Dark

this is what i used to do but i wouldnt advise it to be honest

I used to take the piston out of the lever, give the spring a little strech and put it back together.

i rather the 04 levers as they are easier to bleed :P

Sorted!

I noticed the piston had a really slight groove down one side, I lined it up with the line on the lever body where the two halves join and it worked fine.

So for future reference, the piston chamber in not perfectly round, nor is the piston, they have to be aligned... dunno how it got twisted... the end! :-