Avid Juicy 5. Bleeding Them...

Dan6061

Right.. i'm a right noob when it comes to hydraulic disc brakes... never had one!

Swapped my Avid Ultimate for an Avid Juicy 5, and it could do with a bleed.

Had a quick look at it, and it just looks like a reservoir system like Hopes?

Could I just pour the fluid into the reservoir and let it pour down to the bleed bolt?

Help? :unsure:

Rite mate, when i had to bleed my mates avid juicy carbons witch is basicly same as a juicy 5 you need a special bleed kit that does it with pressure, im sure anyway i tryed doing it like you would a hope but it just worked shit had to take it Lbs because i didnt have the kit..:(

its best done with a proper avid bleed kit. i'd never done one before when i got my codes. took me 15 minutes to bleed both brakes and shorten a hose. the kit allows you to bleed both brakes perfectly and not spill a drop of fluid. i cant say i'd want to try and bleed the brakes at all any other way.

pop into work mate , ill sort you a bled kit out .

its probably the best bleed kit ive used ( though im not a fan of avid juicy brakes) works with 2 syringes one at the lever and the other at the caliper , not much waste fluid either.

let me know man.

grant

Edited by prowler in the yard

I personally do not like the avid juicy brakes. I have them on one of my bikes and the levers are quite fragile, however the bleed kit is an absolutely amazong design and they are the best brakes I have ever had the need to bleed.

Ah nice one, cheers Grant.

If I bring the fluid with me (think it's DOT4 i've got?) hoping that's the right stuff, and then bring my bike/brake in, reckon you'd be able to do it?

thats cool man, dot 4 or 5.1 will work. may be able to do if you pop in , what day you thinking?

203 rotor must look a beast , same size as you rim :P

give a txt to let me know

as mentioned you need the avid bleed kit, comes with 2 syringes which have threaded attatchments, 1 screws into the lever and the other on the caliper, very clean and easy, only takes about 10 mins to do :)

no way to adjust lever pull on the 5's although bleeding the system (if you do it properly) usually helps, Avid say that a well bled brake should pull back so that the lever is parallel to the bar when on

oh and to clear it up the avid bleed kit fits ALL avid hydro brakes

thers a bleed nipple on the clapier on them just poor fluid in the lever bit and open nipple press it till all the air is out and then fill the top up with fluid and done i think i use to have a juicy 5 or 7 i cant rember but thats what i use to do and works fine:) and i used dot 4 fluid from a garage

thers a bleed nipple on the clapier on them just poor fluid in the lever bit and open nipple press it till all the air is out and then fill the top up with fluid and done i think i use to have a juicy 5 or 7 i cant rember but thats what i use to do and works fine:) and i used dot 4 fluid from a garage

its a good job he's already got his brake sorted :rolleyes: ......