Tyre Too Big For Rim

SuperDeathMonkey

even when its not pumped up there is still a good gap where the rim can move up and down. if you know what i mean.

Yeah think so - though mine would move around when the tyre was flat, but not when it was pumped up due to the increased pressure holding the bead tighter to the rim

Pump the tyre until the tube is just big enough to fill the tyre. Then work around the tyre on both sides pushing the tyre bead on both sides up or down on the rim so that it's even. Then once you've pumped it to the pressure you use it at it should be fine. If not you either need a tighter tyre or a wider rim. I haven't compared 20" and 19" tyres (Being a stock rider), but I'd guess a 20" wouldn't fit at all.

The tyre was fine on my monty rim. Then built wheel on to Neon rim and the problem started.

No obvious damage. i did think the tyre beading bit looked a bit frayed but the tyre works fine on other rims.

This leads me to thinking the neon rim is wankered.

It does sound like the rim is the problem then.... got a tape measure? If you could check the overall diameter of the rim that might try and weed out the problem - Try-Alls are 397mm and Echos 398mm for comparison.

Also, compare the 'bead' (the little bit that sticks out inside the sidewalls to 'catch' the tyre) of the Neon rim to your Monty one to make sure it isn't too small (Y)

It does sound like the rim is the problem then.... got a tape measure? If you could check the overall diameter of the rim that might try and weed out the problem - Try-Alls are 397mm and Echos 398mm for comparison.

Also, compare the 'bead' (the little bit that sticks out inside the sidewalls to 'catch' the tyre) of the Neon rim to your Monty one to make sure it isn't too small (Y)

sidewalls are about 2mm smaller than monty, and diameter is about 395mm (pretty hard to measure) so the rim is smaller.