Dual Bb7?

Giddy Koxx Boy

Hey, im thinking of getting dual Avid BB7's for my mod im building, but im not sure what they like if they have a good hold or what, any advice would be handy.

Also what other brakes are good on the market at the minute? i heard the 08 mono trial's are good but im not sure?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sorry i was gonna go for a bath but it can wait :giggle: Being lazy.....

Right before my BB7 08 with ~SD7 lever i had a old magura louise and to be honest was pathetic as it was old and useless..... I have a 203 rotor but to be honest all you will need is a 160 or 180 at the most. The brake has the most amzing bite and hold and has never slipped on me yet.

It is amazing value

No fluidhose to split

Easy maintained

easy adjustements

Amazing hold

Great modulation when needed

never slipped yet

etc

Can snap forks

Edited by Boss

grea hold on the rear, but the bite just isnt there. this was on a stock mind, 180 mm rotor. slightly spongy lever feel, all the hold you want if you can handle the brake slipping througha few inches before i gets there. mono trials ahave more solid lever feel, but havnt used on on the rear to say weahter they are better with the bite situation.

Do it :)

There one of the most powerful disc brakes around, and in my eyes they're the best!

With a BB7 theres no hassle (like aligning it, with rebleeding it, and putting the 'right amount' of oil into it to make the lever end where you want it to)

They're piss to allign as they're on post mounts - which means you don't have to fiddle with washers to allign it.

No rebleeds as its cable.

And easy to fine tune with the 2 pad adjusters on each side, and the adjusters you get on levers.

And they're really cheap :D

I've got a 185 on the front of my mod, and a 203 on the front of my stock! They've never failed - so much hold and modulation, and a fair bit of bite the 'organic pads' on (mine actually make a little honk, compared to them being silent with the standard pads :P)

Hope i helped X

EDIT: i've got a 185 rotor, not a 285 :P

Edited by cai

Its a Dob frame with quite light parts on it :) koxx forks or maybe echo lites

It's truely awesom brake as everybody says but if you want to make your bike really light

it could be a bit heavy for you. If the weight is the most important thing for you

you can try Magura Marta SL or something similar. :cheers:

Edited by mairomaster

I really wouldn't!

Yeah they cheap and not a too bad brake for the front.

But on the rear they just don't have that snappy feeling.

If you have the money I would 100% go for double hope.

With 2 hopes rotors.

After they bed in. They are absolutly amazing.

I know you didn't have a so good experience with them but let them another chance.

I really wouldn't!

Yeah they cheap and not a too bad brake for the front.

But on the rear they just don't have that snappy feeling.

If you have the money I would 100% go for double hope.

With 2 hopes rotors.

After they bed in. They are absolutly amazing.

I know you didn't have a so good experience with them but let them another chance.

Wat hopes do you think i should go for?

I run dual BB7s on my stock, I got an '08 on the back and an '06 on the front, the older one beats the new one as far as caliper flex goes, but they're both pretty awesome.

I got 203mm front and rear, but that would be overkill on a girls bike mod. 160mm would do fine.

I run 2008 XTR levers, and they're lovely! Another really important consideration is a good cable, linear-slic bmx cables are best from my experience.

I say BB5's. From my experience they're better than BB7's.

edit: Just read the thread, a rear Hope will be much better. I ran a BB7/BB5 on the rear of my stock (yeah I know it's a bit different on 26") and in order to get enough power out of the brake, the speed dial adjuster on the lever had to be at it's maximum setting. This meant an extremely spongy brake which isn't safe because you need to completely release the lever for the brake to let go. I went over the bars a few times because the brake just didn't release. With Hopes you won't have such a problem because they're stiffer. I used a 180 Mono Trial on my old mod and trust me, it NEVER slipped. Not a single time in like 8 months.

You can avoid the spongyness by getting a bigger rotor and not using the speed dial knob. Your lever will be stiff and you'll still have a lot of braking power.

Anyway, if I were to use a rear disc, I'd go for a Hope Mono Trial despite it being very pricey.

Edited by Inur