The 4x4 Thread

Chandler

cheap (ish) and insure is anything that has no appeal to anyone other then function over fashion.

quote of 500 quid (1st car, no no-claims, 21yrs old) on a 2.5 TD double cab pick up ford ranger made me smile

but 390 for a series landy made me smile more, definately keen to get me one!

SJ.

*shudders*

Seeing as you've been so helpful with my interests Skoze, i'll not report that. lol

i can see a few main protagonists on OLLR, but the lengths people go to when moving parts, helping out repairs is unreal! can see this being a very useful link, cheers bud!

Nah, SJ's are very, very cheap. However i wouldn't be seen dead in, around, or near one.

Look for an 88" Series 3 with a 2.25 diesel in it, preferably needing some welding to get MOT'd. Cheap to buy, cheap insurance, cheap to run, you'll be fine.

Haha, yeah they're not too hard to work out :P

Good thing is though, everyone WILL be massively helpful to you, no matter how big a player they may seem or think they are on there - such an awesome community. Look through the technical and general sections, learn a lot and get an idea of some of the stuff that's been done!

skoze i've a question- '68 manufactured series 2 (linked to earlier), that'll be 88"? and exempt despite 1st registration in 83?

also any luck getting some angry noises from Bernards monster v8?

I need to get a foot in for this helping each other out though!! might be that my landy tutor has some stuff he may want to swap or sell, think i might be popping out at the weekend or next :D

can't wait, damn uni getting in the way!!!

Yeah, anything manufactured before '73 SHOULD be exempt, as long as it meets the criteria on the "points" thing, no matter when it was registered :)

Nah not yet, haven't been up to see him since the last update, have finally got a unit sorted down here though so progress should speed up soon enough! Yeah definitely dude, as soon as you help someone else out, everyone wants to help you out :P

Sweeeeeet! Look forward to hearing about your adventures haha, it'll be good to just straight get stuck into it!

ye i think the engine/parts coming out of his 109 re-build/alteration may be useful spares, as well as the disco donor vehicle (although i doubt any thing useful will come from something so gay).

may have to persuade him to hang on and not sell the bits, although i doubt he will sell them, his/his wifes series 2 will also require parts occasionally :)

diff/old gearbox/engine may become a useful source though. I'm so glad i have an empty double garage, problem is it lacks any kind of useful tools.

argggh i need to stop talking about it and get me one!

still watching that s2 and tempted to drag someone up to see it, it isn't a forum members is it? they know the value of such a vehicle.

Edited by shamus

Yeah dude, only way you're gonna know is by seeing it! to be honest, any 2a with an MOT and a solid chassis and bulkhead is worth 2k minimum, and i doubt it is as it's not up in the classifieds!

The 109 bits would get snapped up, only parts useful from the disco are the engine, diffs and possibly gearbox really. Most people on there buy them super cheap, get the engine and diffs off and scrap the rest.

yeah seems to be the way! my mate, mike, got that disco for 390 or summat crazy.

i'm hoping mike gets back to me soon..... may have to rob a bank between now and then.

thing is when i leave uni i'll be pulling a reasonable wage (for a 1st serious job) around 18-19K

so i might be able to run my motorbike/leafer/trialsbike/rent? living on a shoestring.....

Does anyone know if there's a number stamped on the chassis of a series two, and if there is, where it might be? Similarly axles and gearbox, none of my books are helping :( Most of this motor appears to be series two but its had a bloody hard life and a lot has been replaced over time, it'd be nice to get straight with what's what.

Ex-coastguard - AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I personally would never buy one unless i could afford a new chassis and bulkhead as well. Being in and around salt water doesn't do them any favours, and there being no pics of the chassis would ring alarm bells for me. Sides are pretty cool, however i'd steer clear (unless somehow he could get you pics of the chassis and that was in very good nick before it ends, and it stays cheap) - something else will come up!

Edd; Should be on front near side dumb iron? I think, anyway... Have a look around there, wouldn't be surprised if that's been welded over though after a repair :(

Axles should be somewhere on the casings, exactly when I don't know for sure but i remember them being in a fairly obvious place when we ground them off of some S3 axles when we put them on my mate's 86". I've got a 2a box doing nothing but can't for the life of me remember where the number is on that either! Sorry dude.

Edited by Skoze

Right I'll get looking when it isnt so dark. Not too bothered about the licensing business because it's got continuous history from the time it was changed to a V8, I'd just like to know why some bits don't fit very well :P

p.s. will the mot man worry about door pillars on the bulkhead? they're a bit religious.

They don't fit very well 'cos it's a series! :P

As long as they're not falling apart they should be alright. If they have holes in them, welding plates on isn't too much of a problem! Just cut it back to some good metal, weld it, grind it, paint it - you've probably done it all before haha

yeah, shout skoze. i just remembered my uncles series that he used for launching his boats, was a tiny bit rusty to say the least.

although he did leave it on the slip once, returned to find it submerged from rear to front door/front wheel. engine escaped so it started ok. when cleaning it up with oil and water he went to check on his 2 yr old, leaving the cleaning mix near the bar fire which was drying the landy. whoops, whoooompfff! landy, garage and speedboat in flames. insurance paid up but it gutted the landy and garage, the boat escaped with hull damage (he got a whole new boat, but sold the old engine, seats, controls, running gear and actually made a profit out of the entire episode :P)

I've got a series 3 1974 landrover that i'm currently doing up (last 3 years) i go through stages where i really want to work on it for like 2 days then don't touch it for 2 months, just can't find the monatavion to finish it, i got it as a non runner and managed to get it running after about 2 days in the end it needed new points and condenser and the fuel lines needed cleaning, since then i've put a new head gasket and vavle seals in it new exhaust brake shoes all round, new front seats and light guards that are home made. All that is left to do is rear leaf springs (which i have) and some welding (if its weldable) anyway here is some pictures.

landy001.jpg

landy002.jpg

landylightguards007.jpg

landy005.jpg

newphone179.jpg

newphone181.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah dude!!! That on paras or just exceptionally high as standard with spacky little 600s on? Looks like you're gonna have fun welding that... New chassis job?

Just got off the phone to a hero; "yeah, complete 80" dash panels are going for upwards of 500 quid at the moment, best i can do mates rates is 110 for dash panel, warning lights, ignition switch and ammeter, but seeing as you're a skint student, how does 70 quid sound?"

That coupled with "i've got a speedo and fuel guage, £80 the pair?"

Complete dash for almost a quarter of usual price... Oh hell yes B)