8" Bb7 Vs. 7" Code 5 On The Back Of A 24"

zoster

Hi!

I am currently running a BB7 7" on the back of my 24" bike. I used the default sinterized pads... wasn't too happy with them so i bought avid organic pads...a bit better but not quite happy with these either. I don't really like the feel in the lever, but that's not so important, what IS important is that ones in a while the grip slips - more than usual i mean... a few inches, and i don't want to ride with this stress in my mind. I did a bit of researching and the only options, considering my budget, are a 8" BB7 or a 7"(or 8" but i guess 7"is enough) avid code 5 (the "code 5" brake consists of a "code" caliper with a "juicy" lever). I'm considering the code 5 since i heard some really good stuff about the avid code brake , but that's a bit too expensive for my taste. (hope trials is out of question and i don't have mounts for v-brake or hs33s)

any advice will be highly appreciated..

post-13202-1214991579_thumb.jpg

I've raced DH for a few years now. I've used allsorts of discs on my trials bike and to be honest on the back non of them were upto the job. The codes are a very powerfull brake and may do it, but i've not tried them on a trials bike. The Code 5 won't be as powerfull as the standard code though, part of the lever is totally different, the juicy lever doesnt have as much hydraulic leverage as the Code one.

Ive just started running a bb7 on the front of my trials bike and Im well happy with it, has way more bite than any other discs I have used on it(Hope m4, juicy 5 and 7)

Hope this helps

Mike

thanks mike, that does help. unfortunately is not so good news that you say the code code 5 is less powerful than the code..

to psycholist: are you referring to a particular model of formula oro? thanks

I'm pretty sure all the OROs currently being made have the same geometry (Piston diameters/lever pivot locations), so they should all produce the same stopping power. I most recently tried were the ones with the polished finish (K24s). Reviews are phenomenally good: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-brake-...97_1507crx.aspx

The only thing I didn't check was what the brake's hold was like. Loads of braking power from any speed to stopped dead, but until it gets gapped to the back wheel a few times (Not really an option on the Commencal Supreme they were fitted to) how well the disk holds for trials is the only thing I'm not confident about. These would definitely be on my short list (Accompanied by Hope trials disks and possibly the new Shimano Saint 4 pot) for a front brake for my trials bike if I finally get fed up of the howling noise the Maguras make...

as far as i knew juicy lever pistons arent any different in size to code levers. the increased reservoir allows them to handle heat better, and the snap fit lever means they dont snap if you crash on them as easily. oh and the have a pad contact adjuster. but as far as i knew thats it.

ive got avid codes on my intense, awesome brakes, dont know what they would be like for trials though. however ive now got avid juicy ultimate levers fitted to the code callipers and have not noticed any difference in power or modulation and as the dh tracks round here arent exactly epic, im not worried about over heating them.

on the bb7 front, i ran a 185mm and a 203mm rotor on the rear of my stock for a while. loads of hold but i found it lacked bite and seamed to slip a little as you're finding with your current setup. could never get it to work as i wanted.

A friend of mine ran a BB5 on the rear of his stock for a while and he had the same problem as others have said, the disc bites, but it doesnt hold. No matter what he did to the setup it always slipped.

You could maybe consider a Juicy 7? From what I've seen of prices here in the UK it's the same as the Code 5 and I've heard some good things about them, on the front anyway. As Psycholist said you could also try the Formula ORO K24, as they're cheaper than the Code 5 here in the UK, I dont know how prices compare to where you are.

One of the problems I see with the code 5 is that it's 4 pot, this will offer more modulation but not as much straight up bite, obviously that's what's important in trials which is why we all run 2 pot brakes.

You could maybe consider a Juicy 7? From what I've seen of prices here in the UK it's the same as the Code 5 and I've heard some good things about them, on the front anyway. As Psycholist said you could also try the Formula ORO K24, as they're cheaper than the Code 5 here in the UK, I dont know how prices compare to where you are.

i buy most of my bike parts from ebay. it's cheaper than in the local stores even with shipping tax. formula oro looks tempting, but it doesn't come with adapter and rotor so it isn't actually cheaper, is about the same price as the codes (not 5).

i found out some more stuff about the code5/juicy lever , and seems to be ok. i think i'll go with the code but i'll think about it a bit more.

i'll also have to decide if i'm going with a 7" or 8" rotor (considering the code 5 is already heavy, i'm not too pleased with the 8" choice but...)

thanks to everyone for their imput!

• 2 weeks later...