Mike's Identiti Krisis Prototype

Mike Deere

Right, so after waaaaay too long of getting this built up, it's finally finished. Sort of.

The frame is 1 of only 2 made of this version, the other one is ridden by team manager, Matt. It's essentially a Krisis with less racey geometry, the top tube is a staggeringly short 19.5" centre to centre, and I've now got the rear wheel sat in position for the shortest possible chainstay setup (in the photo it's at it's longest) so it rides super-responsively.

I love riding technical street (although I still need to get me front brake sorted for that one) and so love my play bike to be light and stiff as well as strong... So that's kinda how this was born. Weighs about 29lbs or so, which ain't too bad at all for a play bike.

2637165832_bcd668bb20_b.jpg

Also gonna change the pedals for a set of Slim Jim's in white. Purely aesthetic, although I have had those pedals some 8 years... Still tight and smooth though.

Yeah, I'm happy with it. :)

Also... Those of you who know me will know that I've not really ridden much trials in the last few years, I've just scooted around on any rides and spent a lot of time behind the lens. Well that's changing this year, I've promised my self a new stock sized trials steed some time in the next few months as I really want to get back into it. Watch this space.

Edited by Mike Deere

It's similar to the Jekyll, strangely. The front triangle on this one is basically a modified Jekyll, with just an extra inch lopped off the length and something special done with the internal butting of the tubes. The rear triangle is pure Krisis though.

I got it as I do a lot of photos for Ison and always chatting to Matt about stuff. One day last year I mentioned I was after a Dr Jekyll as I'd had one before and loved it, and he said "Hang on, I've got something extra special you can have..." and the next thing I knew this frame had arrived in the post free of charge!

Hehe, Jekylls are mint, I rode one for the first time on sunday, it was in 26" mode, but with 24" wheels. It rode quite like my current bike, only just better. I reckon in 24" mode I'd love it.

Ha, you're some lucky dude, a free PROTO frame in the post! I wish!

Are those forks the society xeno ones? How are they?

You can get new sets of ADS dropouts for running 24" wheels in their 26" frames can't you? They pop the wheel forward by about an extra inch from the shortest position so that they actually ride like true 24" steeds. I can imagine a Jekyll with those fitted would ride pretty nicely.

And yah they are Xeno forks, they ride pretty nice actually and are the forks set of forks I've ever had where the bushings haven't worn loose causing the damn things to flutter about. Very stiff. You gotta keep a bit of air pressure in them just so they rebound properly regardless of the damping setup,l despite the main shock absorbtion being from the coil leg. And they don't weigh a f*cktonne.

The 20mm/QR conversion thing that they have works really well too, I've ran both setups up front and even with a really crap QR hub they still keep everything nice and stiff and straight up front.

For £180, you could do a lot, lot worse.

You can get the 24" ads, that's what I'm going to do. Hopefully when I order one I'll be able to choose which I want, and it doesn't cost me more.

Those forks sound not bad then, they've not been around that long AFAIK, so they're doing well.

Sure, i'll give you £180 for that bike :shifty:

:P

I have to be honest, its not my cuppa tea.

All ex. trials riders seem to run un fashionable jump bikes, not that thats bad the fashion in jump and street makes them seriously un versatile (which is bad) however I gotta say it doesnt half make them ride better for street n what not.