Spare Trials Bike?

Ashley-Wood

spare trials bike?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. how man ypeople on forum has a spare trials bike

• yes
    • no

well im wondering if alot of people on the forum have a spare trials bike for when there main one breaks? say if your main one breaks you will have your spare to still go to the ride.

at the moment i am stuck in the middle whether to bid on a t-pro with a fairly good spec to keep as a spare other than my 06 gu.

who thinks its worth it? and who actually already has a spare?

If you think its a pointless topic just let it drop to bottom of pages and i will edit it so there is nothing here.

Cheers woody :)

Nah, I wouldn't bother having a spare. With the money you spend on having two averagely good bikes, you could probably have one really good bike, that wouldn't go wrong anyway.

Edit: Quality not quantity!

Edited by Quackers!!

Given that I spent £1200 on my trials bike, making it not the most expensive out there, but certainly not cheap by any means and I still had to sit it out for over a week waiting for the cranks to get back to the shop and new cranks to be sent out when the threads in one of the cranks went wrong, I have been considering getting a spare bike... It's not as big a deal for UK based riders where local shops may have some stock of spares, but here in Ireland, my garage is pretty much where it starts and stops for spare trials parts, so if I don't have it I have to order and post takes 2-3 days from the UK. Spending a week without riding trials gives me serious withdrawal...

The question is should I get pretty much the same bike again, so I can swap between them without having to get used to the change or should I try different geometry instead.

Hmmm...

Well I don't think you really need a whole new bike, if you can afford it I suppose its a good idea but there is money to be saved...

Maybe get spares of the parts that often go wrong/need replacing.

For example, you don't really need a spare frame, or bars, or stem because the chances of that stuff going wrong is pretty slim (unless your running some funny flimsy frame).

All I'd think you really need as spares, pretty much in order of what is most to least necessary;

Most necessary

• Tubes
  • Magura/Other brake spares including bleed kit
  • Tyres (in case of big gashes in them appearing)
  • Freewheel/free hub internal spares (few springs, few pawls)
  • Chain tensioner/tensioner springs
  • Chain (I replace mine every few months)
  • Bottom Bracket
  • Headset
  • Rear rim (quite low on the list because you tend to be able to tell when its about to go giving you time to order another)

Least necessary

Obviously some parts would differ from that list depending on components and how harsher rider you are (e.g. if you run tensile cranks, you will need spares because they are wack, and if your a basher running deng forks - especially with maggy mounts)

Stuff on that list would be a lot cheaper than a whole new bike, and wouldn't require that much time/effort to fit.

You're trying to guess what will go wrong and investing quite a lot of money in that as well as having a garage full of brand new bits you may never need. If you have a whole second working bike when you break something that you didn't anticipate (Or still feel like going out riding immediately without having to spend a few hours fixing your bike), you're still able to ride... The thing is of course, since trials bikes built sensibly tend to be pretty reliable the second bike may never get proper use... If you've a really light one for competition only that'd be a good justification for a backup bike... But then again I have 3 XC ish bikes (Heavy hardtail with big forks, lightish FS and retro rigid) and nobody thinks that's too weird (Compared to pseudodendronecropaedophilia anyway)... I think I've just talked myself into buying another bike >_<...

Im kinda tempted to get a mod aswell, (although currently Im lacking in money) but I wouldnt get another stock, for me to have a second bike it would have to be substantially different I.E a mod...

I don't see the point. Say you break bike number 1, you get on bike number 2 and think, oh this is working, no point in fixing bike number 1. Bike number 2 then breaks, and you have two broken bikes instead of one working one.

I don't really keep much in the way of spares, I take a couple of tubes out with me, and that's about it. If my bike dies while I'm riding and I can't fix it, tough shit, ride over. But I trust myself and I trust my bike not to break.

i kind of have a spare...my old mod bike i keep incase my stock breaks (perfect example...yesterday snapped BB)

however because the spare is a different size bike...have to adapt to the mod...and being 6"6 this is not a so easy task

Well i have three trials bikes a jump bike and a free ride bike.

Zhi

Edd Tongue

Mhz

Trek Bruiser

Orange Patriot

Its good having that amount, because in my life right now nothing makes me happier than blasting around on any sort of bike with my mates.

Im sure if you worked it out the amount of hours you had fun on your bike according to the price of your bike it wouldnt be that much. Say it was 10 quid or less per hour it worked out, and compared it to a night out and how much you would pay on booze and getting into a club and a taxi home! at the end of the day paying for a bike seems to appear cheap!

The only reason I have so many bikes is because I like the look of them, like the way they ride and need(want) them for doing different activities.

And I can see your point beheind "quality not quantity" but when all your five bikes are pimped then that doesnt mean a thing. :shifty: