Best Brake Type

javzi monty

ok, i hated rear vees for ageees, then i broke the magura i was using so whacked on a vee i had traded for a magura previously. and i must admit, its different but better. at first it had no bite but lots of hold, but now my pads have worn in properly, it had bite and the hold is unreal, its also lets me manual easily which is important for those bigger taps too and then holds perfectly. i can get the bike higher than i can my centre of gravity easily, which is actually pretty annoying. anyhow.

vee on the rear for the win.

as for the front, i have tried maggies, louises and bb7's. maggies were beast, but shit in the wet without a grind. the louise i just could never really get on with, and the 203 bb7s used to rape my forks because the adapter came out so high and wide causing insane leverage. so i went out and bought atomz forks with +30 brake mounting, then got hold of a 160 bb7 adapter and now use a 190 bb7, which is f**king powerful, but i dont have to worry about fork rapeage.

brakes are essential for trials, so try a few different set ups and find what suits you best

EDIT: cables dont leak :P

EDIT2: or freeze

EDIT3: and are never tempermental

Edited by Ash-Kennard

• 6 months later...

I personally say: Rear magura or front bb7

Front vee is sometimes better if you're not particular bothered about modulation. But for me this just isnt an option; as i have to ride 4 miles to the station every week...and a lot's downhill. kind of interesting when your front brake decided that it wants to bite and hold instead of slow you down.

BB7 front (specifically with Linear slick cable)

Magura HS33 rear Light grind, Decent pads.

Discs are so f**king annoying. Its such a silly thing to use on a trials bike.. Hit the rotor - your f**ked, Touch the rotor. drag it for too long e.t.c.

In theory: Vee's are the best, but decent ones cost lots of money.

Vee's:

easy to setup

lighter

easy to 'bleed':P

No mess.

easy to sort.

Charlie

x

Edited by neonneon

Although I know Magura's are supposibly better I would still go for the V-Brakes but i'm not too sure why, I think Magura's are a little TOO good if that makes sence? I prefer abit of roll but I think it's the fear of going over the bars (: It's all down to personal preferance i think ;)