Tight Spot..

Sam F

Basically i get a really bad tight spot.. 1 side of the crank is the perfect tension and the other side of the crank is phenominally loss. Usually i wouldn't care but i got a neon frame and appearently there known to suck chains and make holes in the stays! So as you can imagine i want to keep a tight chain all round. I am currently using V!Z Snail cams, rear profile, new trialtech cog and a Ko-Bike 128mm isis BB, If i was to swap to a 118mm isis would this stop my tight spot?

Thanks Sam.

I'd say not, the reason for the tension rising and falling is because the threads mounting the rear sprocket and the freewheel are not aligned perfectly with the rear axle or the bb.

You need a new set of cranks/rear hub. What have you got now?

I got this problem, it's cos of my front sprocket. Left foot facing up, it's loose, right foot facing up, it's tight.

Try-all cranks, Onza sprocket (well old), CK hub :)

I know it's not the right thing to do, but I set mine up on the tight spot, then spin it round to the loose spot and make it 1 click tighter. Seems to work alright, I never get chain slap, because the stays are so short.

I'd say it's either the BB or the rear hub then, CNC maching is really accurate, so as long as the tapers are in good condition it should be one of those two. I don't know how well machined profiles are for being central to the axle.

Is your current BB bent?

If it's not - getting a new on 'aint gonna do much for the tight spot - it'll just make the chain-line nicer.

I've not heard of any problems with TrialTech cogs - so I'd guess the tapers/threads on the crank are a little off-square.

Wouldn't of thought the hub'd be a problem with that... Much less variance.

EDIT: Just re-read the original post, and it sounds like you want a narrower BB to sort the chain-line either way.

Heard very good things about Truvativ Gigapipes. I've got tapers though - so I don't know too much.

Edited by Flipp

To be honest, i've had this since day i got my Ko-bike all the way through to now. I've had meta cranks on ZHI Cog with ko isis bb.. that done it.. got echo cnc cranks with zhi cog with ko that still done it then got my trial tech cog on my echo cranks on ko isis and its still doing it so it must be the bb.

I got the same BB as you and had the same trouble. Didn't really know what it was, just thought it was new bearings and carried on using it. I was running a half link chain and the swapped to a kool chain and the problem went and now it spins free as a bird. I always used 128mm BB and it's only been with this bit of shit that it's happened. I don’t trust it but have no money

So what chain you using? You could try a kool chain as they are a wider BMX width chain.

Hope this helps Bruce

Or mayby it is that your ffw is actually screwed on ?

I had a shit bb , and the axel were bent .. bougt a new one , and very much better , but i can still see the ffw dont go in a straight line ..

It's just that way it is suposed to be .. if you dont put on a spacer or something to get it all straigt ..

Or mayby it is that your ffw is actually screwed on ?

I had a shit bb , and the axel were bent .. bougt a new one , and very much better , but i can still see the ffw dont go in a straight line ..

It's just that way it is suposed to be .. if you dont put on a spacer or something to get it all straigt ..

Dont run a FFW mate.. If you red the other posts you would of noticed.