Making Parts Lighter

Jitters

There's a nice thread about making frames lighter going on right now, but who has some tips on lightening parts?

One of mine is to drill holes in the last inch or so of my handle bars on each side. Not too many (maybe 8 5-6mm holes) so as not to interfere with the integrity of the bars. I wouldn't reccomend going to far in, as there's a good bit of stress on the areas closer to the brake levers. Also be sure to clean up any burrs and round all of your edges off with a small round file so stress cracks don't form around the holes.

Drill, clean up, replace grips!

Good for a few grams anyway and only takes 20 minuts or so to complete the job for both sides.

I have more, but figured I'd let others share their ideas.

Edited by Tappets

I would be careful with this. As when you drill holes into the bar you will be creating moments of force around the holes, even if they are small ones. If your handy with Pro E you could model your bars and do a FEA analysis. That would help show you where you could place the holes and how big to make them. Overkill i know but better safe than sorry i.e. do a drop and your bars snap where you've drilled >_<

Or dont drill them, is a couple of grams really gonna make the world of difference? Thats like going for a big poo before a ride (probs save more wieght this way lol)

(Y)

yeah i really would'nt reccomend drilling bar's purely because if they were to snap that could potentially be really dangerous, same with cranks and a few other things really..

i remember when everyone used to drill their bashguard's haha, erm other things i supose drilling or cutting out small sections of metal from the frame seem's to be the most

common way at the minute..

to be honest id just rather have a fairly light spec then start making my bike dangerous by removing bits of alu here there and everywhere haha :P

I know where you guys are coming from! That's why I stressed that the holes only be drilled in the last inch of each bar end noting that I, personally, haven't exceeded that. I don't think there would be a lot of stress in that area as most of the weight from your palms rests a few inches inboard around your thumb and index finger even during hard landings.

I know there are lighter bars out there, but for those who like to modify things just because they're on a budget or just for the fun of it, I think it's an option.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but it's worked for me on several bikes, XC, road, and so far the mod.

Anyway, it was just something I've tried for fun cause I like to mess with stuff. Cheers :-)

I know where you guys are coming from! That's why I stressed that the holes only be drilled in the last inch of each bar end noting that I, personally, haven't exceeded that. I don't think there would be a lot of stress in that area as most of the weight from your palms rests a few inches inboard around your thumb and index finger even during hard landings.

why not just chop off the last inch then ? bars are too wide these days anyway .... :)

Drill holes in (or even completely remove) the inner wall of your rims, if they are double walled.

Remove the conical springs on your quick release skewers.

Remove your stem cap and bolt once the stem is tight?

Remove the red plastic TPAs from your Magura levers.

On a budget? Chop the lower jockey wheel off your derailleur if you're running single speed. Also remove the hanger spring.

Dan

Drill the odd hole and stuff is really pointless it will make bugger all difference, just buy lighter parts then you will. You would only start drilling holes once you have got the lightest useable spec already. Personally id would stay well aware of the bars. Every other side knobble on tyres is a good one as you can save about 100grams all together.