Life Choices...

Simpson

As some of you may know I f**ked up last year in my A-levels and re-sat the year. Its results day tommorow and I'm shitting a major brick what if i fail again? The thing is I majorly dislike any form of education and really want to go out and get a job and move out so I really don't feel like going to uni. So where do i go from here? I know there are loads of people in loads of different jobs here so thought I'd ask for any advise!

I've always been interested in banking and accounting so can i do that on just my GCSE's? I know I've passed Maths (hopefully with a high B maybee an A (although i think i messed up core 2) and psycology with of least a B. But business we didn't have a teacher for and I really struggled with chemistry. Even if i pass i don't know if i have enough interest to stay on for another year (although i expect I will)

I've spoken to job'bing places but they all seem pretty damm usless and hand out plently of usless advise. I've always wanted to work in London but don't know how I go about applying or whatever?

Maybe its a usless topic but really want someone with some insight to speak with.

Thanks if your any use lol

Edited by Simps

They're only letters on a piece of paper. It's not the end of the world - there's always apprenticeship programs amongst plenty of other choices for you to consider should you not do so well.

Plus, I got into Uni with DDEU and A* students are being turned away. Your chances are pretty good.

Edited by Smo™

When i contacted an accounting firm they said they were very reluctant to look at people without a uni qualification. Not necessarily because you need it, but it just proves you have the educational skills to pass the accounting exams. Personally, although it sounds rude, if you are worried about failing A levels that much, that might not be the right path for you.

Nevertheless, if you did manage to get an A/B in maths, you might find a firm that are willing to take you on, maybe if you have any contacts in that field it would be time to pull some strings.

Good luck whatever happens!

I get my AS level results tomorrow and I know they will be shit and I hated it there, which is why I've quit 6th form college. I'm starting a business diploma at a different college in September because I to wish to go into Finance.

So instead of totally giving up on education, why not try a different type?

Nevertheless, if you did manage to get an A/B in maths, you might find a firm that are willing to take you on, maybe if you have any contacts in that field it would be time to pull some strings.

Good luck whatever happens!

Yea I love maths and I'm good at it. Just not really feeling anything else, maths and business (but our teacher didn't teach us at all) Its really all i want to go into in the future. My uncle own's and accountancy business and i know plently of people, but... its just id prefer to do it alone kinda thing... AHHH

No not going to start any form of education im nearly 19 and just want some money in my hand

Yea I love maths and I'm good at it. Just not really feeling anything else, maths and business (but our teacher didn't teach us at all) Its really all i want to go into in the future. My uncle own's and accountancy business and i know plently of people, but... its just id prefer to do it alone kinda thing... AHHH

No not going to start any form of education im nearly 19 and just want some money in my hand

Right. What you would need to do is pass your maths. Then you should be able to get an acounting job easily. go down to an accountancy and explain to them the situation with the business teacher. ask them if you can get a job. If they say yes, you would be put into a training program where you would still be earning aroun £23k a year if it works well. From then on its your own choice.

Don't be put off by anything, otherwise you'll be spending the rest of your life thinking 'What If?'.

A close friend of mine was excellent in maths, unfortunately he pissed around a lot in school and failed most things...he came out with just enough to get him into college anyway.

He got an apprentiship in accounts and recently passed his 'entry level' exams - hes now on more money than most people I know. To get this far he had to put up with an absolute shit wage since leaving school, I think he was on about £80 a week over the course of the studies.

No business would set on an accountant with no qualifications or work history, which is why you have to go the account offices to apply; the ones that do contracted work for other companies. This may set you on and train you up on a sponsership which means they pay for your training as long as you work for them afterwards for X amount of years.

Right. What you would need to do is pass your maths. Then you should be able to get an acounting job easily. go down to an accountancy and explain to them the situation with the business teacher. ask them if you can get a job. If they say yes, you would be put into a training program where you would still be earning aroun £23k a year if it works well. From then on its your own choice.

Sorry, thats not correct.

Just because you can do maths, it doesn't mean you can become an accountant at the flick of a switch. Accountancy it a lot more then adding up costs; it covers stock, profit, wages, tax bands, record keeping, law and many other things.

'You would be put into a training program where you would still be earning aroun £23k a year if it works well.' - No chance.

Thats what i got offered at the end of my GCSE's where my uncle works. and he said thats what could happen so thats my account of it. sorry if its different for you.

I'm a trainee chartered accountant (2nd year of a three year training contract, ICAEW).

I've never been to university but have good a-level results. The firm I work for sets on non-graduates regularly, around 1 a year, supplemental to the graduate intake of around 3 a year. This is typical for a small practice like the one I work in, at around 50 or so people. There is a place for non-graduates in practice (I am the case study!) but the route is not an easy one. You start at the very bottom of the hierachy and prior experience means not a lot (further important point below*). You will most likely be offered block or day release to college to study the AAT qualification which is a NVQ in accounting (and therefore paid for by the govornment, by the LEA as an apprenticeship), done over 2 or 3 years. Providing you pass all of these first time (they're pretty easy to be honest) you will likely be offered a Chartered or Chartered-Certified training contract with one of the Institutes, depending on which your firm prefers, working towards your chartered qualification.

Graduates skip the AAT and go straight into a Chartered training contract. You will start the Chartered training at the same time or before a graduate, without the debt burden, and with 3 years (extremely valuable) experience. The chartered exams are hard enough as it is believe me, so not having to pick up how to do the actual job at the same time is a load off your mind.

Money. Outside of London you will get paid £8-12k when you start AAT, increasing to about £12-16 by the end. If you are given a Chartered training contract this will pay around £14-18k to start with, increasing steadily to about £22-26k by the end. Once fully qualified, you will most likely find yourself tied into a contract with your employer at a salary between £30-34k for 1-2 years. For London you can add 50%, literally.

In summary, it's good money once you qualify, but up to then, not great.

*As I said earlier, prior learning means not a lot once you're in, however grades will get you the job. Just under 2 years ago we took on a GCSE student with pretty good grades and let him start the AAT training. But he was only 16, and as his senior I felt almost embarrassed sometimes taking him to see clients because he was sooo immature! He got the sack after ~6 months. My point is:- prior learning counts for little, so start as early as you can, after GCSEs if you like, but make sure you're mature enough for a proper professional environment, or you wont be around long! Starting at 16, it's entirely feasable to be fully qualified and earning £30k+ by the time you're 21. That is no mean feat.

Let me know if you want to know any more!

If not, good luck!!!

Edited to add: to look for jobs you can send your CV off to the big recruitment agents, although i'm not sure how much interest they will have in you with no background yet. These are Sewell Moorhouse, Hayes, and a couple of others whos name escape me. But the way I got my job was to look in the papers and search through websites of firms, most of them have a careers page. Applied for a few and ended up going with one I saw advertised in the paper.

Edited by Extreme_biker0

Thanks mate you don't know how usefull you've been! I got A in psycology, B in maths (which im really dissapointed with), and a D in Business an chem (failed 1 module in chem so could pull that up to an B/C with a re-sit, and getting a new teacher for business next year) So going to stay on at college work hard and get some job experience with my uncles accountancy business during the summer :)

Do what im doin mate there are LOADS of companys that want part time people in im working here over summer as a 'temp worker' i work by the hour and get paid weekly its good as i know no what the banking life is like and iv got a better idea of what i want to do when i finish collage no work experiance is the same imo. Just ask around get a summer job and towards the end if you still feel its what you wana do try your luck and ask if they would take you on full time at least they will know what expericane you have and how good you are at the job. Your welcome to come to work with me and ill ask about there always needing temp workers this time of year. I still need to go to collage to get some kind of degree or im not goin to get anywere but its very good money considering you walk stright in to it, im mean im still waiting on my GCSE results so i have NOTHING other than me saying i may or may not get these grades yet iv managed to get the job anyway how ever places like morisons were i would be on under half the wage there not intrested as i havn't got enough to stack shelfs? Makes no scence to me at all....

Anyway thats just my way of looking at it and thats what i did my advice is less talking and acctully go out there and try for it, its one of them things that you just say you'll do but never feel your up for it so just go one day at the drop of a hat and go job hunting or get some contacts to get you in the door. If nothing else you'll have more money in your pocket and more to put on the old c.v

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add my tupennyworth.

If there is something you really enjoy doing and there is work in that area then you should do that. I am speaking from experience. i'm sitting here at work now after 6 weeks of holiday and lots to do (im a teacher) and I'm writing to you instead because it is more fun than what Im supposed to be doing!

I made the mistake of doing what I thought I was supposed to do by studying an academic subject at uni.

I immediately knew that I wasn't engaged by it but my determination made me stick with it for 3 years. I ended up with a crappy degree and not being interested in the options that it gave me. So I became a teacher.

It is ok, I'm not complaining, I actually enjoy it sometimes, but I often think about other fun things that I'd much rather be doing.

I also tried doing financial sales once but you have to be a real heartless cutthroat b*****d to do that and willing to fuk everyone else over to get what you want. You also have to be willing to give soo much of your time that you hardly have a life outside work. I couldn't do it and wasn't prepared to make the sacrifices. Accountancy is less evil but (in my humble opinion) very dull.

On the other hand my brother is a music type and studied music technology at uni. He had an amazing time and now has a really fun interesting job setting up parties for celebs and wealthy people.

So the moral is do what you enjoy and try to find a way to make money doing something you enjoy. It is the best way to a satisfying proffessional life.

good luck and thanks for the note about my brakes.

Edited by Thaddeuslionheart