Speakers

Greetings

I'm looking for advice on what speakers to get. To keep it simple - 5.1 for under 450 quid.

There's quite a lot to choose from but I can't find a decent guide anywhere which would help me choose the best ones for the money. Most either concentrate on speakers which cost thousands, or those plastic POS like Creative or Logitech which surely can't be any good. I've been to various audio stores and listened to sets which I like but all those were way too expensive. So no luck in listening to something I could actually afford. The size is also fairly important, I've currently got 2 speakers which are around 40x40x100cm each and they take up way too much space. Height isn't much of an issue, it's just that they'd better be slim. Obviously this doesn't apply to the sub.

If any of you have any idea what's worth going for, could you post some names/links up?

Cheers

I'm looking for advice on what speakers to get. To keep it simple - 5.1 for under 450 quid.

There's quite a lot to choose from but I can't find a decent guide anywhere which would help me choose the best ones for the money. Most either concentrate on speakers which cost thousands, or those plastic POS like Creative or Logitech which surely can't be any good. I've been to various audio stores and listened to sets which I like but all those were way too expensive. So no luck in listening to something I could actually afford. The size is also fairly important, I've currently got 2 speakers which are around 40x40x100cm each and they take up way too much space. Height isn't much of an issue, it's just that they'd better be slim. Obviously this doesn't apply to the sub.

If any of you have any idea what's worth going for, could you post some names/links up?

Cheers

450 quid? Aren't you in poland? Shouldn't it be 4,500 zlotys?

If you're listening to music mainly you'd be much better off getting a stereo amp and a subwoofer. If you're desperate for 5.1 then I can't really help - but wth £450 you could get a lush setup.

Personally I have a Cambridge Audio amp, connected to a set of TDL KV1 speakers, with aMorduant Short subwoofer. Cost just under £450 overall with some top quality cabling and I've been pretty impressed. I might be changing the TDL's for a set of B&W's soon though as I've blown a driver on one of them most likely through banging out Drummo from my turntables through them. Everyday listening wouldn't have caused this though I doubt.

I realise this particular setup is a little under what you have said you can spend, but its just to give you an idea of what I think works well. You can obviously spend a little more on each component, and my advice would be to go into a shop and have a listen to a few different sets of speakers, and see what you like. Bring in a cd of something you're familiar with (not a shit quality mp3!!!), and you should quickly find which systems fulfill your needs.

If you can be a little more specific about the application I think people could possibly help a little more.

James

edit: Im retarded and missed you specifying 5.1, gah.

Thanks, that's essentially what I'm looking for - advice on what sounds good to give me a general idea of what to look for. I'd like 5.1 since i rarely sit ahead of my pc, usually sideways or doing something nearby. A surround system would work much better for that. I'm basically looking for something to listen to music on - trance house and electro, no movies. I'm at the stage of completely refurbishing my room and getting rid of and replacing anything that doesn't work properly or is bodged. I'm pretty fussy when it comes to audio so I'd really like to get the best set I can afford. Better buy once than live with a bad set for the next 10 years and keep thinking about replacing them.

I was looking at a brand called Koda, after much trouble I've found these in a store in the UK. What do you think? It's almost within my price range since I just need the speakers.

Edited by Inur

If you're listening to music mainly you'd be much better off getting a stereo amp and a subwoofer. If you're desperate for 5.1 then I can't really help - but wth £450 you could get a lush setup.

Personally I have a Cambridge Audio amp, connected to a set of TDL KV1 speakers, with aMorduant Short subwoofer. Cost just under £450 overall with some top quality cabling and I've been pretty impressed. I might be changing the TDL's for a set of B&W's soon though as I've blown a driver on one of them most likely through banging out Drummo from my turntables through them. Everyday listening wouldn't have caused this though I doubt.

I realise this particular setup is a little under what you have said you can spend, but its just to give you an idea of what I think works well. You can obviously spend a little more on each component, and my advice would be to go into a shop and have a listen to a few different sets of speakers, and see what you like. Bring in a cd of something you're familiar with (not a shit quality mp3!!!), and you should quickly find which systems fulfill your needs.

If you can be a little more specific about the application I think people could possibly help a little more.

James

edit: Im retarded and missed you specifying 5.1, gah.

well that's all dependant on what he's using it for, if its PC then he may as well get crappy 5.1 system, seeing as you're never going to get a good source from a PC (without an offboard DAC etc). If on the other hand you're after a two channel system 'hifi' then yes you want an amp, definately not a sub though... Cambridge Audio is good if you're on a budget, bit bright though so be careful what you partner with. CA + Monitor Audio for example, would probably strip the paint from your walls

Joe

Edited by thefletch

If you arent watching films too often my advice would be to get a decent setup as mentioned and buy a second pair of bookshelf speakers (as most amps like the cambridge have a speaker b output) This way you'd be able to have 4 speakers running when you aren't sat centrally between 2, and when you are you can run it purely in stereo which would be best for music, as that's generally what basis music is produced to. Some music is mixed to 5.1 (dark side of the moon, some amon tobin stuff) but not enough for it to be worthwhile, especially if you're listening to mainly dance music.

After a quick look at that 5.1 system it looks like nothing special, speaker cones look like a standard material, not kevlar, and the subwoofer, although active, looks quite underpowered.

James

I'm gonna get e-sand-blasted for this - but I've jsut got the £50 logitech 5.1 for my PC.

I really like them.

They're not hugely accurate - and are no good for monitoring etc - but if you just want them for movies - they're more than good enough for me.

I should point out that I don't watch many movies - but I do have high expectations of sound-quality :P

The sub's actually amazing, for the size. Doesn't really go below 35hz - but then... it depends what you want them for :)

The other five aren't too bad. Bit lacking in the high end - but in a small-ish room - they do me just fine. I guess it depends if you want reputable brands/super quality/aesthetics.

So what, I won't benefit from good speakers because I'm playing music off my PC? Is it really THAT bad? I can hear the difference between my iPod and a PC on headphones, but on speakers it all sounds pretty much the same to me.

And why wouldn't I want a sub? These things need explaining people :$

He's talking rubbish really. If you have a decent sound card or decent on-board audio then you'll be fine. If not, stick £40 of the budget away to one side for either a creative X-Fi or an M-Audio music card. The difference they make is phenomenal and if your spending that much on speakers a decent source for the sound is a must.

Currently looking at a yamaha 5.1 a.v/receiver, some morduant shorts and a decent sub for myself at the minute. I'm looking to spend about £120-200 on the receiver unit then fitting some bookshelf speakers to it in a 2.1 setup for the time being... slowly adding new speakers as i get some money to spend on them.

Stuff

Im not sure what your point about the audio output on a pc is, you'll get a decent source from most computers, as you would an mp3 player or most other audio hardware? I think it probably is worth getting a soundcard if you have properly shit on board sound but most pc's will be good enough that you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference with mp3's.

As for not having a subwoofer, you're talking out of your arse - subwoofers are the shit and any audio setup worth its salt will have one, no doubt about it.

Krisboats has made a good suggestion, building a system up from 2.1 would be a good halfway house.

• 2 weeks later...
Im not sure what your point about the audio output on a pc is, you'll get a decent source from most computers, as you would an mp3 player or most other audio hardware? I think it probably is worth getting a soundcard if you have properly shit on board sound but most pc's will be good enough that you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference with mp3's.

As for not having a subwoofer, you're talking out of your arse - subwoofers are the shit and any audio setup worth its salt will have one, no doubt about it.

Krisboats has made a good suggestion, building a system up from 2.1 would be a good halfway house.

As an audiophile I'm telling you.

If you want good sound quality from a PC you will need an external DAC (digital to analogue converter). This... http://www.homehifi.co.uk/main/main.html is a very good one for the money, only £100. Squeeze box DAC also good.

About the subwoofers, YOU my friend are talking out your arse. I'll conceed that in this setup (5.1 system consisting of small speakers, then a sub will undoubtedly be needed for LF. HOWEVER, NEVER for two channel stereo hifi. If you have a good system you will get very low frequencies, in the exact scale. Cheap subs in cars simply manipulate the music. Hifi is called hifi for a reason, high fidelity, getting a reproduction of the music as close as possible to how it sounded when it was originally recorded.

Also you are talking out your arse about kevlar drivers being good. Most of the best speakers ever made use paper. Just because B&W use kevlar...and btw, please tell me its not the 685s you're thinking of buying?!

As an audiophile I'm telling you.

If you want good sound quality from a PC you will need an external DAC (digital to analogue converter). This... http://www.homehifi.co.uk/main/main.html is a very good one for the money, only £100. Squeeze box DAC also good.

About the subwoofers, YOU my friend are talking out your arse. I'll conceed that in this setup (5.1 system consisting of small speakers, then a sub will undoubtedly be needed for LF. HOWEVER, NEVER for two channel stereo hifi. If you have a good system you will get very low frequencies, in the exact scale. Cheap subs in cars simply manipulate the music. Hifi is called hifi for a reason, high fidelity, getting a reproduction of the music as close as possible to how it sounded when it was originally recorded.

Also you are talking out your arse about kevlar drivers being good. Most of the best speakers ever made use paper. Just because B&W use kevlar...and btw, please tell me its not the 685s you're thinking of buying?!

Also, if you have a quality system the difference between a real cd and mp3 sound quality can be huge. All you have to do is rip your cds FLAC though and that is a lossless rip. 'LOSSLESS' rip however, isn't lossless ironically.

Edited by thefletch

Flac is huge, most average people will be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference between flac and 320 through a low end system, or even 320/v0.

I know that's why I said through a quality system the difference is dramatic. Lets face it your system isn't going to be the most revealing so its prob not worth it

Subwoofers are run in mono so you will still be listening to a stereo field, and regardless of whether or not the best speakers have paper cones, this guy isn't looking to spend what it would cost to get decent sound quality out of a set up without a subwoofer, nor could he afford speakers which have that kind of frequency response using paper cones. I'll concede that some of the best speakers have had paper cones, but most are now kevlar or plastics, carbon etc.

This guy probably doesn't have an entire collection of flac music either so I'm pretty sure £100 would be wasted on a dac, when most amps will do the job just fine.

What qualifies you as an audiophile can I ask? No need to explain to me what 'Hi Fi' is, I already knew thank you. It wasn't the 685's I was thinking of getting, but I don't see what your beef is with them, most people seem over the moon with theirs.

Subwoofers are run in mono so you will still be listening to a stereo field, and regardless of whether or not the best speakers have paper cones, this guy isn't looking to spend what it would cost to get decent sound quality out of a set up without a subwoofer, nor could he afford speakers which have that kind of frequency response using paper cones. I'll concede that some of the best speakers have had paper cones, but most are now kevlar or plastics, carbon etc.

You obviously didn't read my above post

This guy probably doesn't have an entire collection of flac music either so I'm pretty sure £100 would be wasted on a dac, when most amps will do the job just fine.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Dacs aren't amplifiers. They are employed within cd players; or in this case as an 'offboard' dac, between the cd player and amplifier (PC and active speakers/amplifier).

What qualifies you as an audiophile can I ask? No need to explain to me what 'Hi Fi' is, I already knew thank you. It wasn't the 685's I was thinking of getting, but I don't see what your beef is with them, most people seem over the moon with theirs.

Pop into sevenoaks and ask to listen to them followed by other similarly priced pairs...