Steerer Fork Length

TrialsGilly

Basiaclly Have just got my new mod frame :)

But my new frame has a bigger external headset , therfore the stem will not go as far onto the forks as i would like.

When the stem is right down , i would say still 40% of the gripping bottom part of the stem has no fork in it.

Hope you can make sense of what i am trying to say.

Will it be ok over the long-term, or am i likley to start seeing problems when i start hooking etc...

Thanks for any advice Tom

Pictures of the set-up and bolt

100_9449.jpg

100_9451.jpg

100_9450.jpg

Edited by TrialsGilly

Get a long bolt, get it on, and hope for the best.....

(well thats what i would do anyway)

Yea that is what i have done, but am not sure if it will hold will try and get some pics today if it stops raining (N)

Thought about getting a headlock ?

I don't see how that would help ? As the steerer length is still to short for the stem...

i have the same problem i just got a long bolt and went for it, i do hanging hooks and downgaps to front and nothing has happened yet. this winter im getting a new fork though, just run it like that for now then when you have the money get a new fork :) or if your not poor like me than get a new one now lol

EDIT: only thing is that my stem is about 60- 70% in. so the normal stem bolt is only like half a cm from making it.

Edited by Matt_Thibeau

Can you take a pic of it from the back, so we can see exactly how much there is?

With my old Megamo, it went about half way up, so I would tighten the bottom bolt like hell, then the top, and then whacked a headlock in to keep it all together. It held up, but I don't do much in the way of front wheel moves.