How Do I Get A Flatspot Out?

Hannah Shucksmith

Sorry I don't understand, do you mean that you turned the wheel into an egg when building it or do you mean that you crushed your rima nd it now has a giant flatspot?

To sort out an egg shaped rim tighten all the spokes on the wide side and loosen them all on the short side.

Basically, the wheel is 'egged' as you're saying, where it is egged, the rim drops below the brake pad level, so in theory, would loosening the tension/spokes in that area and then tightening on the opposite side, pull the wheel back into place.

p.s - The rim was not egged before building, however it is a second hand rim.

On the egged section (eg the high section) you need to go round in the following pattern, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 1/2, 1/4, so that's if the egg was 5 spokes long, if its say, 10 spokes long then it goes 1/4 1/4 1/2 1/2 1 1 1/2 1/2 1/4 1/4

Just keep doing that until it's round, that's how I do it anyway!

On the egged section (eg the high section) you need to go round in the following pattern, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 1/2, 1/4, so that's if the egg was 5 spokes long, if its say, 10 spokes long then it goes 1/4 1/4 1/2 1/2 1 1 1/2 1/2 1/4 1/4

Just keep doing that until it's round, that's how I do it anyway!

So you only do a quarter turn on the last 2 spokes either side of the egg, no matter on the size of the egg? All the rest half turn?

Why not just take it to your local bike shop if your struggling. They shouldnt charge you much more than £10 to do it for you.

To take the bike into town would take me a good hour, not only that I've got to pay for other things, wheel needs to be sorted before 6am tomorrow morning. Got no time. Got no money.

To take the bike into town would take me a good hour, not only that I've got to pay for other things, wheel needs to be sorted before 6am tomorrow morning. Got no time. Got no money.

Dont need to take the whole bike, only the wheel. They would probly do it for you today if they arent too busy.