Quad Core Computer.

Trials...

I love how that ebay listing had images of crysis and explained how amazing DX10 is. That card would be truly awful with just normal old DX9 :lol:

Get something like this: Visit My Website

Then whack one of these in it:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....s)%20-%20Retail

Really easy to fit the new one, shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes to fit it then 5 mins or so to install new drivers.

Keeps it around that kind of budget and would be FAR better for gaming.

What is wrong with the graphics card? could get a new one?

The graphics card is the main thing really for playing pc games. It has to render everything thats on the screen and so the faster the card the newer the games you can play and with better graphics. For gaming a graphics card is far more important than CPU/RAM (dual core and 2gigs is plenty). The 8100 that comes with the quad core is a pile of crap that will only be able to run 3-4 year old games on low graphics settings and it'll run them VERY slowly. It'll be like a poor quality Playstation 1.

Any of the core 2 duo's 2gb of ram as a base unit should be fine yeah. Shouldn't cost more than £150-200 for something like that, but have a look around and get something from somewhere reliable. Then purchase the 8800gt which is a very capable card. You'd be able to play far cry 2 on high quite happily.

If you wanna play games like far cry 2 id wait and not buy anything. Keep saving until you have about £400 then you'll get something much more suited.

My computer only just manages to play it on all high settings with no AA. Saying that i do need to upgrade my ageing GFX card.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz

4Gb Corsair 6400C4

Abit IP35

256mb nVidia 7900GS

Corsair HX 520w PSU

Pioneer DVR-212 DVD-RW

74Gb Western Digital Raptor

320Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10

8800gt would be much, much better than the 7900gs :P Single 8800gt beats a pair of 7900GTX in SLI ;)

My friend upgraded from the lowest current intel dual core chip, e1200 i think to a q6600. He almost doubled his 3dmark06 score but in crysis he got 2 fps more and in far cry only 3-4 fps more. These games are much more graphically intensive so a fast cpu often doesn't merit much difference at all.

If your after a new card danny pick up one of the 4850's or 4870's. My 4850 runs far cry 2 with everything on ultra high and 2x AA constantly over 35fps with a 1620-1080 monitor. Plays fallout 3 with everything on ultra and 4x AA on the full HD tv downstairs with no problems either :D.

Seeing as the pc i specced would be more capable than the 360 console thats not actually as clear cut of an answer as it seems. Especially given the premium on console games. Fallout 3 has just come out on the 360 for what, £39.99? Yet the pc version is £24 upon first release.

I've been playing fallout on the pc tower downstairs with the 46" big screen and a 360 pad. It looks better and runs better as the 360 version stutters a lot outdoors.

Computers and consoles go through stages the consoles were better than the similarly priced pc's for a while, but with the new hardware out for the pc its currently more cost effective to build a pc gaming rig than a console. This'll reverse once the new generation of consoles comes out again and will rinse and repeat like it always has.

Depends how you specify that. If you want to build a pc that'll match/better 360 performance for the next 6 months then thats pretty easily done. If you want a £250 pc that'll play games at the rate pc games progress then i agree, it'll be VERY hard to do. Fact of the matter though is that the 360 has about reached its graphical ability. New games are already sacrificing distance drawing and filtering on the 360 just so they can run things like the higher res textures.

Of course this will all boil down to how well the games scale across platforms. Some developers make the games really well optimised and others just sort of drop them out and hope people won't mind. Need for speed pro street is a good example. Even on a really high end pc its somewhat of a slideshow for no apparant reason whatsoever.

There's pros and cons to each format obviously but £250 would get you a pc tower that could match a 360 with the same image quality/performance until the end of its days no problem.