Rear Brake

scottcj9

Hi, I have been riding a few years and am starting to get seriously into the sport. About six months ago I purchased a koxx level boss with front hope, whilst on the rear I have a magura. I recently have started to have lots of problems with the magura, the pads stick to the wheel, it constantly needs bleeding, and every time my wheel goes out of line I have to set up the rear wheel again.

Is it just me or do lots of others feel a rear disk is easier and better? My hope on the front is superb and I have never had any problems with it, plus the lever is stronger, I have a habbit of breaking the magura levers.

What do you think I should do?

I have had a set on mag's on one bike for over 10 years with no bleeding and they are still great....

Clean your rim with some white spirit from time to time to get traces of oil off, file just the top surface of the pad (for the same reason) and set them up accurately so they hit the rim at the same time. If you bend your wheel either get it tightened or learn to true it yourself - at least this way you'll know when its out instead of letting it get too far.

As for breaking the levers I dunno how you managed that. I only have the old type I dont like the shape of the new ones....Id try a hope but worry about a rear disc cracking the frame.

I use tar on the rim, the brake when it works is good, I just have a big problem with the magura pistons not retracting fully, and over time it gets worse?

If youre going to use tar, dont use as much, only need a thin smear to work properly - a grind is a far better solution :)

I tried a rear disk on my triton and was dissapointed, using a 185 rotor and a bb7 it had very little hold, bite wasnt as good as a maggie either. Learn to set up the maggie, get some decent pads and a grind and all your braking problems will be over :D

Clean your rim with some white spirit from time to time to get traces of oil off, file just the top surface of the pad (for the same reason) and set them up accurately so they hit the rim at the same time. If you bend your wheel either get it tightened or learn to true it yourself - at least this way you'll know when its out instead of letting it get too far.

So to get rid of all the oil, you use an oil based liquid?????

Yeah and you'll have more problems with a disc if the wheel goes out of line..

You got snail cams on there yeah? If you havn't, get some and thats one problem sorted.

Cleans the shite off all the pistons and re bleed it with water.

Set up your brake and it should all be sorted (Y)

Where on the lever do you break it? Is it a Hs33?

So to get rid of all the oil, you use an oil based liquid?????

Yeah and you'll have more problems with a disc if the wheel goes out of line..

You got snail cams on there yeah? If you havn't, get some and thats one problem sorted.

Cleans the shite off all the pistons and re bleed it with water.

Set up your brake and it should all be sorted (Y)

Where on the lever do you break it? Is it a Hs33?

well...I can only advise what works for me...and this with a well set up brake, clean pads and some tar to do the trick (for the back wheel only).

Edited by Dan81

I would use a grind, but my dad refuses to let me, thats another reason to get a disk because I can ride in the wet and my dad is happy to let me get a rear disk. My front hope mono I have never had a problem with, I have slipped and landed on it a few times but I just bend it back and I dont have a problem.

I always manage to snap the lever on the piece between the piston and the lever, so the lever is still good and so is the piston but the piece of metal that holds the two together snaps and is unfixable. But I only ever manage to snap the magura lever the hope lever is indestructable

I used twin disc for ages but have gone back to rim brake on the rear, first a v and now maggie. You mention about bending the rim... that is one of the only draw backs but the major problem that a disc can have is the fact that almost all trials moves are done with the back wheel... if you slip on the edge of a wall or drop it into a crevice the disc will be the first thing to get crunched... and as you weight will be on it or you may be dropping off something it won't be just an easy bend like the front gets.

Must mention.... if you bend a rim it won't make the slightest difference to your disc. The only time you will have alignment problems for a disc is if you let the hub move or you bend the frame area that the caliper sits on.

I also have to say that not many rear disc mounts aren't up to the job of big trials moves.... they tend to crack the frame sooner rather than later. Of course you will get good riders telling you how they have used them for years with no worries but remember those guys can land a lot softer than the rest of us (well, me anyway! :) )

Set up maggies well and give a light grind and you will be fine... i use oil in mine as water bleed felt crap when i tried one, and i also use a very small amount of tar. Good pads and good set up will see you right.

Edited by r2wtrials

If you want to have a brake that works in the rain, don't get a disc! In my experience a well set up magura with some pretty hard pads and a harsh grind can work as well in the rain as it does in the dry, whereas discs are pretty rubbish in the rain.

I love double disc bikes though, both mine are double disc.

No, my dad wont let me get a grind because it will wreck the rim. I currently have an awesome pair of metallic gold rims and he reckons it will ruin them. Plus I will keep having to buy new rims.

My front hope doesnt stop working in the wet and my disk has got a reasonably large surface area. If you use the monty disks they are really skinny and designed to be used in the wet because the water doesnt stick to them?

No, my dad wont let me get a grind because it will wreck the rim. I currently have an awesome pair of metallic gold rims and he reckons it will ruin them. Plus I will keep having to buy new rims.

I kill my rims by flatspotting them and bending them before I destroy the sidewalls..

Especially with echo 07 rims, will take like 20 grinds and a grind will last over a month... That's twenty months.

If you ground it every 2 months, then its 40 months.... about 3 and half years.

I have been offered another rim to fit to my bike and I could gring that, but its off a new onza t-pro so its not as good as what I have already got and it ways lots more because it is not drilled.

I still think that I am going to save up to buy a dual disk bike, or re-build mine.

My dad does not have a clue about the bikes, he just sees it as a sport that im good at but just keeps costing him more money. My bike just keeps breaking and is costing a lot.

Im still heading more towards a rear disk, I really want a new bike I am currently trying to find a bit of money to buy a new bike but I think it will be a dual disk, I rather like the monty kamels, or the atomz mod?