Laptop Insurance

Mr Dave

Hello, with regards to insurance with laptops,

im not sure weather to take out the 7.99 a month insurance cover, basicaly covers everything all acidental damange etc, with pc world, works out a 96 quid a year, but if it breaks or i damage it they fix it free or replace it with a brand new laptop.......

do you think its worth it, ive had my old laptop over 6 years and only dropped it once, but this one will proberly get carried around more as it can do mroe things ..... taken out to the garage etc

Cheers

Edited by Mr Dave

if you somehow have the option to run xp pro with the same ressources as running vista, go for xp.

i use vista on a 3gb ram, 2,21ghz core duo notebook and its really comfortable.

I've seen many(and mostly) notebooks which which cant handle vista as well as mine. you can read about how vista should be running on 2gb ram, but i say take at least 3gb! the more the better, of couse. so i guess the ressource problem is the biggest contra of vista.

oh and forget about home basic, its clearly garbage!

Xp is up to SP3 now. :P

If you're still getting a 32bit laptop, go for XP. From what I've heard, 32bit XP is faster on any set-up than 32bit Vista. If you're going for 64bit however, get Vista, because 64bit XP is rubbish.

what about compatability ?

thats the thing which might stop you from wiping off vista. But as long as you have the option to recover your system (cd, image, whatever), its worth a try! Get set for some pretty nasty internet search for all your drivers...

ah thats a good point! drivers, will i actualy be able to find any ? or are they all guna be like hybrids that people have made ? hummm

could have a problem there lol

believe it or not, as i dont know which components you got on your pc, i dont know which driver you'll be looking for ;)

and trust me... i know the hassle with searching drivers, so dont expect any help :-

Edited by Monty99

Anything that's Core 2.

Just the processor yes, as Core 2's are 64 bit. But depends if the other hardware can take advantage of the 64 bit processor.

I've had Vista for ages now! Only thing I don't like is the networking stuff, but I've never really bothered to learn how different it is compared to XP.

I like it though. :)

Networking on vista is easy. What were you having problems with?

I like Vista, missed XP though.

I run a triple boot PC, Vista Ultimate x86 on one hard disk and Vista Ultimate x64 on another. XP on an old IDE hard disk, can't seem to get it to boot on a SATA II disk.

I use x86 version mostly, web, music, work etc etc and x64 version for games and photo/video editing as I can use the full amount of my 4GB ram, where as I'm capped to just over 3GB on x86 version. XP......it's there just incase.

I haven't had any hassle with drivers, except for one of my USB wifi adapters but I am connected with a ethernet cable now instead.

Don't need atleast 3GB to run vista, unless you have LOADS of process running in the background. I had a old machine with 1GB ram and a P4 3GHz and it ran Vista Ultimate fine but I did turn off all the unnessary processes and it only used just under 450mb of ram not doing anything.

And to you next question. Yes for any reason. Laptops are more problematic in my opinion. Since you carry it around with you and have a tendancy to drop things get the insurance. Most problems on laptops are software based and if its hardware based it is most likely inherent. But some idiots use their laptops on their laps, beds and block the cooling holes and end up frying the motherboard. Make sure you don't do that.

And becuase you can't take out a bit of harware to see if its not working right, having insurance helps if you don't know how to do it.

And to you next question. Yes for any reason. Laptops are more problematic in my opinion. Since you carry it around with you and have a tendancy to drop things get the insurance. Most problems on laptops are software based and if its hardware based it is most likely inherent. But some idiots use their laptops on their laps, beds and block the cooling holes and end up frying the motherboard. Make sure you don't do that.

My MacBook Pro has been okay for the last 2.5 years, went to uni and back in my bag not in a case usually 2 or 3 times a week for 2 years.