Oil Or Water?

trialsmax04

Water deffently, such a more resoponsive break.

It wont rust if you bleed it well. I.e no air, water needs air to make the break rust :)

clean the lube off a chain and leave it in a bucket of water over night and it will be rusted, the water contains enough oxygen to cause the metal to oxidise. The problem with water is that it does not keep the system lubricated like oil, so over time the seals (made of rubber, not metal) can corrode. 

In my opinion oil is better as the expansion/contraction caused by heat is less noticeable, especially in winter.

I am more than happy to use water, but the use of anti-freeze is where I am always lost, it is corrosive so I can not be good for the brake.

It's not as corrosive as water on it's own !!!!

Using just water with no anti freeze in cars f**ks up the water pumps and clogs the pipes and water ways in the block.

HS33 internals are plastic, which does not corrode. I've used water in all my Maguras, which have all been fine. Just give them a good service every few months or so if you're worried. I think bleeding some oil through it every now and again should lube up the pistons just fine.

Saying that, I never have! And they've been fine. Only reason I've had so many is because of me changing brakes, or breaking levers, etc. :)

to be fair mate water does make the brake better but because water is thinner than oil , water can sometimes not work because it is to thin for the seals in your magura . but oil is actualy the proper thing touse but its up to you to be fair....

sam(y)

HS33 internals are plastic, which does not corrode. I've used water in all my Maguras, which have all been fine. Just give them a good service every few months or so if you're worried. I think bleeding some oil through it every now and again should lube up the pistons just fine.

Saying that, I never have! And they've been fine. Only reason I've had so many is because of me changing brakes, or breaking levers, etc. :)

try bleeding them with dot fluid and then say that they will not corrode.

im going to need to blead my rear hs33's but the question is, water or oil? I know the water is recomended, but doesnt this corrode the pistons/cylinders?

any help aprechated

max

I have been using water for about 1 year now and still haven't had many problems.

I switched to water because I kept breaking my cross over everyother week and it was quite expensive.

It was easier to bleed and I didn't get and air in the system compared to when I used to use oil and a bleed kit.

Mine has never started to seize up or become lazy, and on the freezing side of things mine has never done that and it has been freezing temprature lately.

If your magura doesn't need bleeding you don't really have to change to water, just bleed it with water when you break your hose etc.