Who Knows About Torrents?

Tomm

Hi. Thanks for the long reply. Thing is, I'm connecting to good torrents with 50+ seeds and it's only connecting to 14 seeds and only 1 is uploading, and the speed is spiking up and down from 0-8kbps - it never even stays at 8 for more than a second. Surely there is something wrong?!

I dunno, it just seems weird. When I d/l stuff from the web, it can go at 400kbps or something. People say you can use torrents as an alternative to web servers and that's fine if you can get the same kind of speeds, and I know that some people can. But mine is 100x slower than a dedicated server which is rubbish.

Yeah apparently this is not an issue on Mac/Linux but I seem to remember that made a difference on my old PC.

I used to use Transmission, its a great app beacuse its so lightweight, but it doesnt (or at least didnt when I was using it) support DHT, which as I understand it speeds up the process of finding peers even when the tracker is down.

One thing you do want to do is not set the upload limit too high. I have mine set to about 17kb/s, but then my connection sucks.

I dont know if it has een mentioned already but port forwarding could be an issue, look here.

Nope, port forwarding is not an issue. I even tried putting my NAS in the DMZ to remove the firewall from the equation. That didn't help.

And I know what you mean about DHT, although all the torrents are connected to trackers so I don't think DHT is the answer. Unfortunately Transmission is the only client available for my NAS, anyway. I wouldn't want anything more sophisticated, either - Even Transmission constantly uses 70-80% of the NAS's 200mhz CPU as it is!

Yeah if you have some Windows security it won't let you install it because it think it's spyware. If you can, click ignore/continue. I don't see that having uTorrent will make a difference.

I've just tried uTorrent for the Mac. It seems pretty... clunky. And no faster than Transmission.

Can't help with torrents, as I've never had any luck with them either. They kill my connection too as soon as someone starts downloading off me. XBMC, if you search google for xbmc binary you should find what you're looking for, and I'd have though there'd be a http mirror for suse?

Not very helpful ehh..

1) I use my NAS which has Transmission + Clutch installed (pretty basic). Or I can use my laptop which also has Transmission and/or Tomato torrent. Speeds seem pretty similar whatever client I use. When I 'unlimit' the upload speed, that runs at about 70kbps so no problems there.

I was also pretty sure at this point that it was a piss take

:P

torrents are simple, bandwidth -high

download limit- unlimited

upload limit- as small as it will go! (but most people realise this hense the very slow dl speeds on some files)

down load bittorrent from here

and use torrents from here

when youv searched for something click the seeds button at the top then youll get the highest seeded files, which mean quicker download.... also most people that use these torrents are from places like norway or whatever where there basically arnt any laws about file sharring, so youll get the fastest dlspeeds at what ever time they're online.

also if you can find what you want, at the top theres a few other torrents sites, mininova and pirate bay are the best imo :)

and one more thing, check comments to make sure quality is good and with no viruses, never download a patch that they suggest or codecs as theyre 90% going to be a fat virus...

i normaly get speeds of like 50kbps up to 500kbps

this probably wont help you, but just a thing for people who want to use bit torrent... but i think you main problem is that you fastest download speeds will be when US and netherland users are on, in day our day time my torrents are like 3kbps haha but at like 6 onwards i can download a film in about an hour or less...

Edited by Krispoats

you have capped your upload connection havnt you?

I have, yeah. My d/ls have been going at ~30kbps (which is OK) since I started this topic. I don't know why, though. Haven't changed anything :rolleyes:

Faster would still be better, if anyone has any ideas?!

When I have enough upload credit i'll trade you a torrentbully invite for one from you for demonoid?

I commonly get download speeds of 300-400k from there, but you pretty much HAVE to up-load as much as you download, or seed for what they consider to be an acceptable amount of time, usually 2 or 3 days I think.

Personally i'd not be happy with 30k, but like you say it depends on the torrent and such.

try downloading an aXXo torrent, go for the most popular and see what sorta speeds you get. if it goes high youll know its not your set up.

Use private torrents, i get like 250kbps within 5 mins of it starting downloading, obviously it goes slow and gets faster, i can download full albums in 10 minutes ish.

You have to be invited to get into private websites which i cant give you but meh.

Mat

You don't need to use private torrents for stuff you're not stealing, you just need to set it up right.

Lol, well if hes downloading stuff from microsofts website you can download them from .exe without needing to go through a torrent, so i doubt hes not downloading games/films or music, but whatever, learn to set it up right then..... lol

Mat