Who Knows About Torrents?

Tomm

Right, need some help with torrents. I just never get them working well at all, they always run really slowly. If I have 5-6 torrents going at once, the combined download speed is usually about 4-5kb/s (max 10 ish, min 0).

1) I use my NAS which has Transmission + Clutch installed (pretty basic). Or I can use my laptop which also has Transmission and/or Tomato torrent. Speeds seem pretty similar whatever client I use. When I 'unlimit' the upload speed, that runs at about 70kbps so no problems there.

2) My internet connection is fine, and I've tried on both my own internet and my parents'. Both are 2Mb+ connections, one is BT, other is NTL, so in theory I should be able to get at least ~250kbps on either connection.

3) All the ports are forwarded properly on the router, in the 30,000-50,000 range.

4) The torrents are from either mininova or Pirate Bay which tell me there are 40-50 seeds for each torrent. I've tried Demonoid in the past but NONE of their torrents worked.

To me, it seems as though I'm just choosing rubbish torrents, but even when I try and download something popular the speeds are always the same as when something has got only 3-4 seeds. It's really infuriating!

N.B. I'm sure Rapidshare/whatever is better, but I don't care so please don't tell me.

If anyone knows about these things, won't you help a brother out?

No, it's not against the forum rules.

EDIT: This is the information Transmission gives me for one of the current torrents (actually going at 8kbps which is pretty fast). The padlock means they know I'm 'interested and choked' which I don't understand.

post-40-1230509294_thumb.png

I'm sure I've seen topics on torrents before that got closed due to them not being very legal, thus against forum rules?

3. Warez Minimum Penalty - 1 Warning Point

Do not post information or requests for illegal software, downloads, TV shows etc. This includes requesting serials or cracks.

:huh:

Haha fair enough, nah to be honest i can't help much cos i get the same problem. But i thought it was cos we're using the free torrent finding places that are shit rather than pay for or invite only torrent finders that only the cool kids can use? Either way though, it has only been half an hour since you posted :P

I am actually on demonoid but I can't seem to get anything to download from there. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though?

In fact whilst I'm on the subject, how the hell does Demonoid authenticate its users? Because you can sign into the site and d/l a torrent, but how does the tracker know that you're a member?

No, it's not against the forum rules.

EDIT: This is the information Transmission gives me for one of the current torrents (actually going at 8kbps which is pretty fast). The padlock means they know I'm 'interested and choked' which I don't understand.

I use uTorrent myself. Speed greatly depends on the number of seeders, the people uploading to you, so generally speaking the more the better. But for that torrent in the pic, it has 35 seeders but you are only connected to 14 of them and out of 14 seeders, only 8 is/was uploading to you. But at the moment the screen shot was taken, only one seeder was uploading to you. Rather slow at 8kb/s.

It's hard to say how fast it will download, most torrent programs has the option to let you choose your uploading speed (or their total upload speed=you download speed). Let me put it this way, you can be connected to 100 seeders whos upload speed are say 30kb/s (and assuming all 100 is uploading to you), but all of them has turned their upload speed to just 1kb/s, all you gonna get is a max download speed of 100kb/s when you have a potential download speed of 2000kb/s or 20Mb. But this will only go as high as your internet speed.

Seeders come and go so that also affect your speed. Also the seeders with yellow bars have not completed the torrent themselves. Even if they are uploading to you at 100kb/s lets say, once they have uploaded what they have downloaded (say 50%), your download speed will drop until you connect to new seeders beyond the 50%. And yes, turn your upload speed down or off, you download speed will go up.

Atleast you torrent isn't dead. Some lame seeders stop at 90% up but never 100% which means you never be able to complete it.

New, popular torrents should be no problem. Older, less popular torrents, you probably won't get a very good download speed unless you are connected to some dedicated uploaders.

Hope it helps!

Edited by weirdoku

I'm going to be really unhelpful because i had the same problem, and someone told me how to fx it and it worked, but i can't remember what it was.

It was a number somewhere in the depth of my computer that would limit something (the word connections springs to mind) and in normal computer use the limit would be fine but because you use a torrent client that limit would be exceeded with all the connections it would make. I put the number up and I've been getting speeds of up to 600kB/s where as before that i was getting 10kB/s max.

Edited by JT!

Yeah its to do with the half open connections that are allowed at any one given time. Its a half arsed way of slowing virus transfers.

Point number 2 on here ;)

http://blog.davidkaspar.com/archives/2005/...ent-id-4226.php

Not much help to tomm though as i'm pretty sure he's running on a mac >_< so i don't know as much about OS tricks to help speed them up like i do in windows. Sorry mate.

I read that thing Kris, went through to the download, got the patch and AVG popped up saying it was spyware, I stuck the patches name into google and there was a topic on some warez forum that basically said to ignore it and carry on, but it won't open even once I extracted it. :S

EDIT: 5:37AM? That's dedication.

Edited by Muel

stuff

Hi. Thanks for the long reply. Thing is, I'm connecting to good torrents with 50+ seeds and it's only connecting to 14 seeds and only 1 is uploading, and the speed is spiking up and down from 0-8kbps - it never even stays at 8 for more than a second. Surely there is something wrong?!

I dunno, it just seems weird. When I d/l stuff from the web, it can go at 400kbps or something. People say you can use torrents as an alternative to web servers and that's fine if you can get the same kind of speeds, and I know that some people can. But mine is 100x slower than a dedicated server which is rubbish.

Yeah apparently this is not an issue on Mac/Linux but I seem to remember that made a difference on my old PC.