Tyres

betterthansteve

There doesnt seem to be an faq about tyres so I thought this would be useful. :-

So far I have found my comp24 to be very grippy on the rear :D and as its a dh tyre its ideal for street, but sadly :D im using an old raleigh front tyre (about 1.95) which has less grip than oiled teflon so for any front wheel moves its cr*p.

What front and rear tyres have you found to be good?

also are panaracer fire xc 2.1's grippy?

Cheers, Ben

Rear:

Continental Vertical - Light and good for DRY COMPS, not ideal for street or sharp rocks, or anything wet

Michelin comp24 - GRIPPY as hell for anything. Fat sidewalls, great for natural and street, any weather

Michelin Hot-S 2.5" - My new tyre. Grips amazingly well, good springy feel, RED, and lighter than the comp24. Needs to be tested in the wet before it gets my :-

Front:

Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1" - Great grip for everything but wet off-camber rocks. Look sweet, nice tread pattern and doesn't cost too much.

Rear - Maxxis High Roller 2.35 (or 2.5) -- Superb grip and pinch protection even when run at 22 PSI. Yet to see how long they last but they're only £15 so it doesn't really matter.

Front - Panaracer Trailblaster 2.1 -- Good grip, light, comes in different colours :hehe:

Tim

I only know street tires, because I've ridden natural once and hated it. because it was hard....... :">

REAR

Panaracer fire FR 2.4: A quality tire for street, chunky as fookery and not too fast wearing. Pinch protection is really good in comparison to the weight of it. A good tire to get for 19.99.

Intense comp 60: This is a complete HEEFER. It weighs a tonne but will never give u a pinch ever. hard tread though......... rather expensive though.

Tioga's: Aint very good, pinch protection is kinda of non existent and they are also kinda heavy. Dont go for these.......

FRONT

IRC mythos XC 2.1: THese are closer to 1.9, weight nothing and have pretty decent PP.

Thats all I can tell for now, because I dont need any new tires oh well.

Mr. Tweek :-

Panaracer trailblaster 1.95 (front)- No grip, little puncture protection, Light weight (500-600g) rubbish on street and natural.

Fire xc 2.1 (front)- Great size, grippy as a badger, good puncture protection, great on natural an street.

Schwalbe space 2.35 soft (rear)- more like 2.5, light (900g), amazing puncture protection (ran at 15psi for ages) Amazing grip, last quite along time. Great all rounder.

Irc El gato- Pretty grippy, not much puncture resistance, good size and weight (850g?) Gay colour, good for the rear on natural and front for street

Michelin comp 24 2.2 rear- The daddy, Amazing grip, impossible to puncture, slightly heavy but nowt major (1050g?), bouncey at low pressures, doesnt roll around at low pressures. Great for everthing

Tioga- pants

HOT-S update.

The bugger has a large hole in it. The sidewall that is.

It was OK, nothing special though. Looked too damn good though. I'm back on the good ol' worn Comp24 now.. it's a little bit too narrow, but ill get used to it soon-ish.

Next up is the Comp24 2.5" tyre. Har har :-

• 1 month later...
2 mates of mine run continental vertical pro 2.3 up front, its a light ish tyre about 800 grams mark, but theyve had no problems with it as such.. grip is good because its a 2.3... may be worth the buy..

Vertical tyres are around the 600g mark actually, which is well light.

But the weight must be cut down somewhere.. The tyres are pretty wobbly, and not the grippest when it's wet. They're big and round too, so I reckon they'd fold pretty easily on a thin front rim, as mine folded on a BMF (at 38mm)..

It's OK for the dry, but I'd use something else when it's wet.

Nokian Gazzalodi 2.3

Substantial amount of grip - good against pinch flats, nice tread pattern, very chunky :- - rather cheap at £21.99 - not too heavy (about the 1 kilo mark)

You are joking right ?!

I used to pinch that stupid thing all the time. The grip is good (in the dry) and it is a nice chunky square profile tyre.....But the pinch protection is horrible.

Frog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a 2.1 panaracer trailblaster on the front, and iI don't like it. Firstly as soon as it starts raining or gets wet (Which occurs basically every day here) you can't turn more that 30 degrees without it slipping out. Also it lacks no good grip on the edges, hence why you slip in the wet and my it has no good grip when resting on objects.

• 2 weeks later...

Front- maxxis mobster 2.1 light and only £11.99

Rear-halo knobbler 2.2 brilliant puncture resistance, (Y) lightish, grippy, very soft wears down quick had mine 6 month, but for £10 I find it hard to go past it (Y)

• 3 months later...

Front:

Panaracer fire XC pro, 2.1, kevlar bead. light and grippy in both wet and dry, good for natural and street.

Try all stiky, 2.0, very grippy, light great for natural could wear down quite quick on street, but still an awsome front tyre, large volume also.

Rear:

Maxxis minion 2.5 ST awsome tyre, very grippy on either street or natural, will wear down quite fast on street though. has very good pinch protection.

Try all stiky 2.5, another awsome rear tyre, awsome grip on either street or natural, once again will wear quite quickly. Good pinch protection.

This tyre seems more "bouncy" than the minion at low preaures, which is nice, :bunny: