Stuck Sprocket

jack0174

I have a little problem.

Basically there is a sprocket stuck on my cranks, they have been down the bike shop for 2 weeks and the bloke said it wont budge.

So is there any alternate methods of getting the sporcket off. BTW i dont want the sprocket just the crank.

Sorry, Dont want to sound like a drag. But have you checked the wiki?

Hi, you could try heating it. Stick it in a vice, heat round the sprocket, on the thread with a blow torch, then use the chain whip and it should come off. The heat will make it expand and it should then come off.

May not work, the aluminium crank will expand faster than the steel sprocket and likely wedge it on tighter :(

If you have a decent sized vice that is bolted down to a solid bench/the floor then you should be able to hold the sprocket with some chain, stick a decent sized steel pipe over the crank arm and twist it off.

See this handy autocad sketch that I did a little while ago :)

(obviously replace wheel with crank arm ;) )

edit: waay too slow, muel got in there whilst I was searching for that acad sketch - bah! :(

post-6335-1233913930_thumb.jpg

Edited by forteh

I had the same problem. Tried wood blocks but that just got into toothpicks. I took the thickest chain that I had and wrapped it around the sprocket and clamped it in the vice as shown in earlier post. Then I put a larger nail trough the chain on the other side to stop it from slipping. Then I had a friend to hold the workbench and a 2m long iron pipe on the crank. My weight wasn't enough so I had to jump and pull it and almost cracked the bench.

Steady workbench with a large vice and much force is what you need. But if you are lucky it may go easier then it did for me, I didn't grease it when screwing it on :P

Edited by Henrik Y

Park a car on the pedal and get a very long chain whip around the sprocket and lever it off that way. I'd advise trying a different bike shop to see if they can do it if the last one you tried failed. If the sprocket is junk I'd take an angle grinder to it and cut the sprocket from each side to just short of the crank threads and break it off with a chisel.

Tried heating it up yesterday but still nothing,then later on yesterday i got a small spanner that put the open end on one of the sprocket teeth and hit it with a big lump hammer for about an hour didnt work either, but not tried heating it up and hitting with a hammer will try that now.

Edited by jack0174