Monty Kamel 221

amser666

Hi guys,

I've been riding trials (motorbikes) since I was 7 (I'm 31 now!). Now my son's 7 and he's got a GasGas TXT50... Anyway!

I've always wanted to get into bike trials... not competing, just messin around. I've played on mountain bikes and BMX's but never ridden a proper trials bike. I want to get into it to get into shape and get the right muscles working as I've started competing at expert (club level) trials on my Sherco.

I dont do things by 1/2's and I've been looking at the Monty Kamel 221 '08 or '09. I know this is one hell of a bike, but are there any negatives or weaknesses and are there any other bikes you would recommend instead?

Cheers! ;)

I'd say not, they feel really small in my experience, even for a Mod.

I'd get a stock if I were you having ridden motorbikes for years, I find the riding styles are more similar. (I've been riding motorbike trials for about 5 years).

They are built to be extemley light and to be ridden very smoothly and carefully. My friend has got one and its nice, but he has snapped his forks and has recentley cracked his frame in two different places. However he said the warrenty on the frame is very good, i think its around about 2 years warrenty he said. But as people have said already a 26" bike would be a bit more of an idea the 231 Monty Kamel maybe ?

Adam (Y)

I'd say there is no weakness at all or any negatives, It is a good strong bike and they are really nice to ride.

So go for it if you want.

Josh

They snap and crack a lot unless your a super smooth comp rider, and the guy is a fully grown man. I'm 5'11 and it was tiny compared to my Echo Lite.

They are competition bikes designed for experienced riders who are really smooth on their bikes, a beginner isn't a smooth experienced rider, especially when you've spent 24 years throwing motorbikes around. (No offence meant)

As has been said, Monty's are notoriously snap-happy, and in my opinion, HUGELY over priced. The build quality isn't that bad, but for nearly £2000, it's terrible. Certain parts of the frame just look horrible, and it will crack or snap, usually within a year. They feel very small, something i like as you can throw them around incredibly easily, but very cramped (i'm 6'2", so had to get off it quickly) It's kind of like a BMW. Good, but you're paying over the odds for the name.

I'd recommend you look into stocks (26") or 24 (self explanatory, 24"). In my experience, 26's are better for proper hoppy hoppy trials, but if coming from a motorbike you might like the feel of a 24? They actually feel like proper bikes, and you can throw them around easily. Most importantly, they're brilliant fun!!

Edited by Marvin the Martian

Thanks very much for the replies guys!

One of the main things I have taken from these comments so far is how much more likely they are to snap than I thought! I had thought that the more you pay, the stronger and tougher the bike is. I suppose it is a trade-off of weight.

I'm 5'10 and weigh 13st. I wouldnt be dropping off huge steps or trying to make big gaps just messing about trying to look cool! B)

Oh... and getting into shape!

I'm still into the idea of getting a 20"er to throw about but would be concerned about the thing breaking as I'm quite heavy!

I suppose it is a trade-off of weight.

I'm still into the idea of getting a 20"er to throw about but would be concerned about the thing breaking as I'm quite heavy!

Yeah, unfortunately not! The expensive stuff in biketrials tends to be more competition orientated, given to riders by their sponsors (who are quite often the manufacturer) - so it doesn't matter as much if it were to break, they'll just get a replacement.

Look into products from Deng (owner of the following companies) such as Echo, Zoo, Adamant etc... They're not too light, but will take an absolute beating! You could always get one built with light parts, for the best of both worlds (Y)

Edited by Marvin the Martian

if you are looking at spending that kind of money

maybe something like this ? it will last and is a very good bike

where abouts are you from ?

I'm from near Dolgellau. I was up north near Dyserth in the Cheshire Youth trial today (not riding myself)... took my son to do the D class conducted.

Is that Echo bike made by the same company as this Zoo! ?

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...;category_id=10

I'm from near Dolgellau. I was up north near Dyserth in the Cheshire Youth trial today (not riding myself)... took my son to do the D class conducted.

Is that Echo bike made by the same company as this Zoo! ?

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...;category_id=10

yea zoo,czar,echo,adamant all same company

They snap and crack a lot unless your a super smooth comp rider, and the guy is a fully grown man. I'm 5'11 and it was tiny compared to my Echo Lite.

They are competition bikes designed for experienced riders who are really smooth on their bikes, a beginner isn't a smooth experienced rider, especially when you've spent 24 years throwing motorbikes around. (No offence meant)

To be really honest, I do not know much about them as I have only ridden one of they a few times. So what I think of the bike is what i know from them few rides and they were nice smooth rides.

So sorry for my mistakes.

The consensus seems to be with stock rather than mod, but I was also thinking in the back of my mind that my 7yr lad could start messing around on a mod (albeit much to big for him for a good while) sooner than a stock bike?

they you are probably better buying two standard priced bikes (one stock one mod) rather than one really expensive one ?

So if 20" means mod and 26" is stock... what's 24"? Where do these terms come from?

I think...

20" bikes were called mod because they were originally modified from bmx's and converted for trials use, 26" trials started out with small framed standard mountainbikes. Up to a point the only trials specific bikes available were mods.

I could well be wrong though :D

Edited by forteh

I think...

20" bikes were called mod because they were originally modified from bmx's and converted for trials use, 26" trials started out with small framed standard mountainbikes. Up to a point the only trials specific bikes available were mods.

I could well be wrong though :D

Yep, and 26"s got the name "stock" because they were basically fairly standard mountain bikes, back in the day - if i remember correctly.

And 24" is a 24, pretty self explanatory there :P