Danny Macaskills Using 24" Or 26" Wheels?

Mini0n

I thought he was using 24" wheels? Why did his official website states that he uses 26" tubes?

If i'm considering of getting a chrome rim, but my rear brake is not a disc brake, would it be pointless to get a chrome rim in the first place ?

Edited by Mini0n

The chrome rims do look good but if you're planning on using a grind, I'd just get a silver one. I have a try-all chrome rim on the rear of my mod, but I had to attack the braking surface with a grinder, like 2 jews fighting for a penny, as the brake just wouldn't work on the smooth surface. Shame as they do look good and "blinging" but more suited to a rear disc to keep them looking nice.

He uses 24 inch wheels - you can't physically fit 26 inch rims into an inspired frame.

The website states that he uses 26 inch tubes because he does. As a 24 rider myself, I do as well. You just fold them over slightly and pump them up within your 24 inch tyre and they work fine. When you're out on a ride and you puncture, it's a lot harder to get hold of 24 downhill specific inch tubes from most nearby bikeshops than you'd think. Most stock 26 inch dh tubes though, so it's far more conveniant to use them.

Edited by Rumplestiltskin

Ah, thanks for the replies!

So its possible to use a 26" tube in a 24" wheel ?

What if i'm going to use a magura Hs33 brakes at the rear? Should i just use a silver rim?

Yeah you just need to fold it a bit when you're fitting it. Any rim will do. Take a gander on Tarty, rhyno lites or the trialtechs ones.

GRIND = grinding away the rim to leave a roughed up edge for better brake grip

so now you can see why the chrome would be a bad i dea if you were planning on doing this....

so if you going for looks look at the base and not the walls if you are planning on using a grind

Grinding is when you give the sidewalls of your rim a rough texture so that friction/grip between your pads and the rim is better. It basically gives you a far grippier brake which will work in the wet as well as in the dry.

You do this by removing the tyre and tube from your wheel and running the disc of an angle grinder or similar tool lightly around the sidewall of the rim at a shallow angle.

There's no point in buying a chrome rim if you're going to grind it - you'll simply remove the chrome from the sidewalls and they'll look duller than the rest of the rim. It'll also be tougher to grind than a rim with a bare aluminium wall because you'll have to grind through the chrome coating before you get to the underlying aluminium.

You do this by removing the tyre and tube from your wheel and running the disc of an angle grinder or similar tool lightly around the sidewall of the rim at a shallow angle.

I recommend leaving the tyre and tube on and just push them out of the way when grinding. This stops you getting gunk (wax, release agents, dirt) from the tyre and tube on the rim when fitting them which results in a much better brake.

I recommend leaving the tyre and tube on and just push them out of the way when grinding. This stops you getting gunk (wax, release agents, dirt) from the tyre and tube on the rim when fitting them which results in a much better brake.

Good point - I just suggested tyre and tube off to reduce the potential for expensive accidents for someone trying a grind for the first time.

Grinding is when you give the sidewalls of your rim a rough texture so that friction/grip between your pads and the rim is better. It basically gives you a far grippier brake which will work in the wet as well as in the dry.

There's no point in buying a chrome rim if you're going to grind it - you'll simply remove the chrome from the sidewalls and they'll look duller than the rest of the rim. It'll also be tougher to grind than a rim with a bare aluminium wall because you'll have to grind through the chrome coating before you get to the underlying aluminium.

What you mean by that?? I need a special tool to do that or ?

Yes, you need an angle grinder. Google it. They're roughly £15 for a cheap one from a tool shop, but you might be able to get one for less, I'm not sure.

As for the tubes - I used 20" tubes in my 24" wheels for a while, you just stretch them to fit :D