How Was Your First Time?

lexism

I went out today for the first time, ‘trials riding’ if you can it that. I pretty much couldn’t do anything apart from slightly lift the front wheel off the floor. Well, today I learnt endos, bunny hops, almost wheelies, almost an endo with a slight turn, and can now track stand for about 5 seconds. I also did small things like ride off small ledges and riding up stairs, and some ledges.

I’m curious on what I should be starting out with when learning, so what was it like when you started trails, and what would you recommend learning?

Well firstly what bike do you have mate? Because if you have a non-specific trials bike it's not going to help in your learning process.

And two, you're not going to be amazing the first time your ride! Just keep practising ;)

I actually never saw the title as that at first.

I ride a moutain bike which doesn't help, but that's all I have at the moment. I've lowered the suspension, but that hasn't done much, and I'm saving for a trials.

I was just curious though what other people learnt first.

I went out today for the first time, ‘trials riding’ if you can it that. I pretty much couldn’t do anything apart from slightly lift the front wheel off the floor. Well, today I learnt endos, bunny hops, almost wheelies, almost an endo with a slight turn, and can now track stand for about 5 seconds. I also did small things like ride off small ledges and riding up stairs, and some ledges.

I’m curious on what I should be starting out with when learning, so what was it like when you started trails, and what would you recommend learning?

I would say your starting with the right things. Soon I would learn to backhop as that is very useful when riding trials.trashzen. This is a good website that gives you lots of help with some moves.

I honestly expected this topic to be about losing your virginity.

Anybody else?

ha!!!

i rode alot of other bikes (styles) in the past, just jumping, bunny hoping over stuff. (mostly ona bmx)

trials was quite easy to get the basics after having say 4 years riding other stuff under my belt.

mostly side hopping curbs. doing stupid bunny hops over little stuff.

I actually never saw the title as that at first.

I ride a moutain bike which doesn't help, but that's all I have at the moment. I've lowered the suspension, but that hasn't done much, and I'm saving for a trials.

I was just curious though what other people learnt first.

Oh right I see, what make is it?

And for learning stuff first then just do the basics.

You can probably figure them out ;)

Track Stand (You can a bit already)

Backhop (Can learn to do these easily within a week)

Kick hop (Might take about a month to get these up to a decent standard)

Hope this helps you out (Y)

I have a Carrera Vulcan, which Halford's sell.

I'm finding the pedal hop really hard though and keep hitting my shin

That will probably be because your bike doesn't have the right gear ratio for kick hopping.

And probably because the pedals are not grippy enough to hold your feet in place in that situation.

I still remember my first time, I couldn't keep it up myself either ......the front wheel that is.

Best thing to practice is your balance, I remember just keeping balance, starting with 1 or both wheels hoping slightly, then moving to wheels slowly rolling to keep the balancing point.

From then try keeping balance with your front wheel on a small wall, maybe half a foot high.

Then try getting your bike up that same wall, which you will fail to do a lot but keep trying.

From then you will just practice what feels right and make your own riding style, but first and foremost you need some balance on your bike in different positions.

Frooty

I honestly expected this topic to be about losing your virginity.

Anybody else?

Haha yes, With all the stuff that pops up on this forum some times I wouldnt of been suprised!

I was riding a Specialized P2 for about a year doing "Trials" on it, I could do back hops (about 10), bounce to the side (about 15-20), bounce and rotate (about half way round) and fall off, But when I got my Trials bike everything changed :lol:

So your heading in the right direction in what your doing.

Why do people call it a Trackstand? I've always known it as Balancing.

Whats up with that?

And what the hell is a Pigeon?

Edited by Bol Maaaaaaing

Most pre members are 12-14 sooo doubt it..

If you believe the media then thats just about the right time nowadays! Saddly my first thoughts on reading the title were about trials riding - must be losing my touch :(

Now for another Tom :D

Yeah, my first time was with you Lex ;) Was a good day out even if I killed my bike and stole yours.

I'm rather glad that I've always been a tad...extreme I suppose, though I don't want to seem up my bum. Things like parkour and unicycling have significantly helped balance and coordination so that'd be why Cabbage asked "How're you picking it up so fast". Bit of practise in my garden, bit of luck outside that I seemed to grasp well, hops really, fast :P Now it's all practise.

I should think I'd wanna try and get onto my back wheel, and hop :D though I've no idea what that balancing bit's called on the back wheel. And then pedal kicks. Then that's the basic basics covered. And endo shizzle is fun :D