Why Can't I Find 22t Bash Guards?

Brass-Pie

I'm building up a Planet X Zebdi out of some spare/donated parts. I'm gonna have to buy a new pair of cranks but I'm really struggling to find any one who stocks a crank or bash ring that can take and 22 tooth chainring. I was hoping to keep the cost of the cranks around a ton with a pair of try-all cranks a tensile bashring and a 5 bolt 22t chainring. But everyone seams to be struggling to get tensile stuff at the moment, and checking out most shops websites everything else only goes upto 18 tooth :angry:. I've even looked at Middleburn cranks but again no-one has 175mm isis in any colour in stock. I've been out of the trials game for a while, it seams like bmx everyone is going over to micro-drive drive chains.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I would check ebay mate, i bought a pair of truvativ hussfelts and bb for £15 off a mate then couldnt find a bash ring to fit. Then looked on ebay and found a brand new dmr ring thing for 20 quid so cranks and bash guard and bb for 35 quid so my advice is search ebay!

Why do you want 22t anyway? It's been superceded, everyone runs either 16 or 18 on the front now. (Unless they're running burns).

I use a 16t TI bash on my middleburns with a 13t on the back, tis perfect. :P

Why do you want 22t anyway? It's been superceded, everyone runs either 16 or 18 on the front now. (Unless they're running burns).

Its not obsolete at all i run a 22 up front, as does Danny mac! The man said hes buildin an old school zebber and a 22 is best for old school rigs! I think blackspire still make em. As do middleburn and tensile. But ur right 18t up front is more popular nowadays.

I'm building up a Planet X Zebdi out of some spare/donated parts. I'm gonna have to buy a new pair of cranks but I'm really struggling to find any one who stocks a crank or bash ring that can take and 22 tooth chainring. I was hoping to keep the cost of the cranks around a ton with a pair of try-all cranks a tensile bashring and a 5 bolt 22t chainring. But everyone seams to be struggling to get tensile stuff at the moment, and checking out most shops websites everything else only goes upto 18 tooth :angry:. I've even looked at Middleburn cranks but again no-one has 175mm isis in any colour in stock. I've been out of the trials game for a while, it seams like bmx everyone is going over to micro-drive drive chains.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

I have two kicking around somewhere at mine but we are not full members yet other then that i would sell one because i don't need two.

Edited by Earl

Its not obsolete at all i run a 22 up front, as does Danny mac! The man said hes buildin an old school zebber and a 22 is best for old school rigs! I think blackspire still make em. As do middleburn and tensile. But ur right 18t up front is more popular nowadays.

I never said obselete, I said superceded, which I took to mean that there is a new standard now, so they are hardly ever used because there are more 18t and 16t parts available.

Why is 22t better for old bikes? I'd still use 16:13 if I built one up, they're smaller so they clear over stuff better and they're lighter and look much cleaner if you ask me.

Says who?

:P

I was not a member when i posted but i am now cool.

Brass-Pie as we are now members let me know if you want that 22 tooth rock ring i have its a black spire Granny god ring.

Edited by Earl

I was not a member when i posted but i am now cool.

It was a joke, you blatantly can spell and aren't some annoying teenager here to just make a mess of the forum so i upgraded you guys ;)

Brass-Pie as we are now members let me know if you want that 22 tooth rock ring i have its a black spire Granny god ring.

Please make sure to do any trading in the fs/wtd section, not in sub forums. Make a FS thread then pm him about it ;)

It was a joke, you blatantly can spell and aren't some annoying teenager here to just make a mess of the forum so i upgraded you guys ;)

Thank you mate.

I can not spell at all well I'm using spell check and have a Oxford English Dictionary and Thesaurus with me I'm doing my best I'm Dyslexic I'm not joking.

Ps.

I'm from Leicestershire to

Edited by Earl

I've been riding BMX and Downhill for the last few years, and I work in a bike shop and Im fed up with all these micro-drive drive-chains they only increase stress on the chain make your parts wear out quicker and generaly make you pedal like a granny. I've thought about running a 18:12 because I like harder gearing, What I realy want to do is run a 22 up front and three surly cogs on the rear 18-15-12 with a cheep sora on the back. Then at least I can ride across town with out getting peed off with the bike and throwing it at the nearest chav.

Earl I will be pming you.

Krisboats thank you for upgrading me to the realm of coolness!!!!!!

22 toothcranks are hard to find in trials

middleburn do a bash with a 20 tooth chainring

if your using non trials cranks try and find a "dmr ring thing" for a bash

its a steel bash ring they come in 4 and 5 bolt fitting

ebay is the best bet

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/prod...roducts_id=5502

RT22.jpg

Edited by maxxis26

Tensile used to do a screw-on bashring with a 22t chainring bolted on to it. I think they have only just stopped selling them. I've been running one for about a year now and they seem to be ok. So If you can find one I would reccomend one.

Edited by Mikee

Well I've decided to bite the bullet and go 18-13 I was having a look at a few parts and thanks to the guys that pm'd me, but after a while I started thinking If i'm strugeling to find the parts now whats it going to be like a year or so down the line when i need to repalce parts so shiny new try-all cranks bash gaurd and sprokets turn up today from Tarty bike. Should have the bike together by the weekend when I get a day off from fixing other peoples bikes