Best Gear Ratio For A Newbie

MikeWarner

Hi - I've just bought this 24seven Holroyd:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=380125902269

I plan to build this up over the next few months. I used to do trials in the early '90s (see video

), but the new setup will be single speed. The 24Seven frame I've bought takes a 116mm rear hub, so single speed only. Assuming a 17T or 18T at the front, what would be a good beginner ratio - i.e. how many teeth at the rear. I'll be on 26" wheels and 175mm cranks.

Also, anyone know what ratios run on this frame without using a half link chain or tensioner? Are half links chains okay to use on a trials bike anyway?

Anyone else got this bike? Pics please! :)

Thanks.

Edited by MikeWarner

Thanks guys - 18-16 sounds good to me. I've found a few trials specific half link chains, so the horizontal dropout shouldn't pose a problem. I can't wait to get this thing built up!!

Oh - I'll buy the correct size hub! I like the idea of having a 116mm hub, why have a wider hub designed to run 7 to 9 speed cassettes when all you want is a single gear? I like minimalist stuff me. :)

or even 14, for a bit more pace!!

Its not an XC bike, you don't need pace, you only need control of the bike. 18:14 is Way to stiff for small correctional hops especially when you are learning. 18:16 is more then enough to get you to travel a long distance, while keeping the bike feeling light and manageable.