Traveling To Europe On A Uk Id?

Jaffacakes

I'll be quick because I have to be back at work in half a hour.

Pretty much, I have a week off work, so I want to drive to france with my mate for a surf holiday. I dont have a passport because its ran out of date. I could drive to the passport office and get it done on the day but its a bit of a mission, I live about as far away as its possible from one, its 300 miles or something rediculous. A few people have said that you can travel in europe with just a Drivers licence as ID. So can anyone shed light into the matter?

Thanking you

As above, however just before christmas I sent off my expired passport on a monday, I had my new one on my doorstep thursday morning(and that was in the run up to christmas,with a slower post)

EDIT: according to the directgov website, its 2 weeks using the post offices check and send service.

Also Newport south Wales is your closest passport office, so it aint too much of a trek.

EDIT2: I meant as above in response to jon's post, you need a passport to leave the uk, (well to enter the other country at least, it allows you to pass the port(hence the name)), the EU thing is you can move freely/stay/work without authority(visa), still need a passport to get entry though.

Edited by Fish-Finger-er

I thought you could move freely within the eu without one?

The UK and Ireland didn't sign up to the Schengen agreement, so I don't think that’s technically true. However, sometimes when my friends and I have travelled through France/Belgium/The Netherlands the authorities have been happy with a driving licence, other times not.

Edit: Just had a fish about on the net and apparently any instance when a UK resident leaves the UK they need to take their passport. When I travel from Guernsey to the UK and back, I don't need to take mine (but always do as I no longer have a drivers licence). Guernsey is a bit weird though.

As above, however just before christmas I sent off my expired passport on a monday, I had my new one on my doorstep thursday morning(and that was in the run up to christmas,with a slower post)

EDIT: according to the directgov website, its 2 weeks using the post offices check and send service.

Also Newport south Wales is your closest passport office, so it aint too much of a trek.

EDIT2: I meant as above in response to jon's post, you need a passport to leave the uk, (well to enter the other country at least, it allows you to pass the port(hence the name)), the EU thing is you can move freely/stay/work without authority(visa), still need a passport to get entry though.

Thats where we had to get ours, wasnt that bad of a journy.

It's not really the post though, it's more that it's not peak time. If you're trying to get one done around this time of year there's going to be more people trying to get it done, so it's naturally going to take them longer to do. That 2 week wait thing's just an average, so it might get there quick or it might take forever. I think you can splurge the funds on an 'on the day' service if you're re-newing it though, so that might be worth it depending on how flush you are.

I always understood that you would be ok without a passport if you came from the UK. These days there are so many foreign immigrants though.

How do those two sentences have any relevance to each other?

Gay. Looks like I'll have to drive to wales then to dover. Planning ferry times should be fun...

I've had the renewal form for weeks :rolleyes:

I need to do something good with this week though, then its back to 60-70 hour weeks until september :ermm: It'll be worth it for the winter travelings though, I've got a few tricks up my sleve.